DaveS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a 2022 MG ZS EV. I am unable to consistently charge it using a rapid charger. 9 times out of 10 it fails.
I have now had an update applied which I'm told adresses the problem. I tried to charge after that but was unable to do it with the power off as instructed in the manual. After plug in I had to power up and select 'start charging ' on the console to make it charge.
Can someone list the steps I should take to use a rapid charger and is it normal to have to select 'start charging' on the console?
Thank you

Last edited:
I have a 2022 MG ZS EV. I am unable to consistently charge it using a rapid charger. 9 times out of 10 it fails.
I have now had an update applied which I'm told adresses the problem. I tried to charge after that but was unable to do it with the power off as instructed in the manual. After plug in I had to power up and select 'start charging ' on the console to make it charge.
Can someone list the steps I should take to use a rapid charger and is it normal to have to select 'start charging' on the console?
Thank you
How do you charge at home, using the timer in the car or the schedule on the EVSE?

Upvote 0
Perhaps the OP could clarify "rapid charging" which typically means DC (CCS) charging as opposed to AC (type 2) charging?

Upvote 0
Perhaps the OP could clarify "rapid charging" which typically means DC (CCS) charging as opposed to AC (type 2) charging?
By rapid charging I mean charging using a public charger such as Instavolt, ESB, Gridserve etc. I dont know what the protocol/interface is called.

Upvote 0
Thank you
The only times I have to select 'start charging' at a public charging point is if I have forgotten to turn off schedule charging, so the car is waiting until some time at night to start charging. Just ensure that schedule charging is turned off for it to start when you plug in the charging cable. As others have said, also make sure that you have not set a 'maximum charge' lower than the current charge.

Upvote 0
The only times I have to select 'start charging' at a public charging point is if I have forgotten to turn off schedule charging, so the car is waiting until some time at night to start charging. Just ensure that schedule charging is turned off for it to start when you plug in the charging cable. As others have said, also make sure that you have not set a 'maximum charge' lower than the current charge.
I make sure that option is off at a public charger. Since the Recall update I've managed to find three chargers to try. ESB and Shell I have been able to start charging just by plugging in after validating my card. Instavolt I had to turn the car on and select 'start charging'. It's possible the update has improved things - the problem is finding empty working chargers to make sure.

Upvote 0
I use both. I have my home charger set to charge off peak and the EV set to scheduled charging at the same time
I do the same Dave TBH.
99.9% of the time I charge at home from our wall box, using an off peak tariff.
The on and off times are replicated in the App in my phone and the head unit.
One day last week we decided to make an unscheduled trip.
We had sufficient range, but I just wanted to add a few more miles while we readied ourselves.
Of course the car is set to scheduled charge.
I tried turning off the scheduled charge from my phone which returned as as successful, but it refused to commence the charge correctly.
I then booted up the car and disabled the scheduled charge in the head unit and tried again.
This time it finally stated charging.
When we returned from our trip, I turned the scheduled charging back on from my phone.
Later that evening at about 10.30pm I popped into the kitchen and noticed that the smart energy monitor was displaying a RED status ?.
When I checked it was clear that the wall box had started charging !!!!!.
OH NO - What is going on here, my off peak does not commence until 1.00am !!!.
Bit of a faff getting it to stop charging, but got there in the end.
It was pure chance that I caught it in the act.
The following morning, I checked what was going on and for some odd reason, the times set in the App had defaulted back to a start time of 10.00 pm ??????.
Why …… I have absolutely no idea 🤷‍♂️.
This has happened once before.
I find using the App for critical settings can be a little bit hit and miss sometimes.
The head unit appears more direct than any losses that can be witnessed via your phone somehow ??.
I tend to go belt and braces now and perfectly match my scheduled charge times in the head unit with the App.
My off peak tariff is a low 4.5p / kw where my day rate is a spiteful 40p / Kw.
There is no way I want any issues when it comes to incorrect charge times commencing early and therefore charging on the higher rate of course 🤣.
Load it ( the scheduled times ) Lock it and leave it alone, is my strategy folks.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom