Rapid charging

Dt99idr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Done some lessons learning today :(

We went to the Eden project today. All there slow charger were busy, when leaving decided not to top up at the rapid as I had plenty of charge to get back to my caravan and a local rapid. (And if I'm honest... because I didn't want to pay the 5p premium at this rapid....)
So eventually get to my preferred rapid. 2 people waiting. Wife goes and spends the 30min I would have spend charging shopping... decide I still have 37miles range, plenty to get back to the caravan and still get to the local charger...
Oh those 37miles disappeared quickly! Pulled into the next charger with 1% left...
Charger says 'out of order'.... after a little fiddling it seems this was only talking about the ac. Top up charger back to the caravan.
Wife not impressed with hiw slow rapid chargers are. If only the one my the shop had been free it would have been the best thing since sliced bread but....

Popped out tonight to top up for tomorrow. Someone pulled into my local charger just before me.... so I'm now sat at an insta... all because the eden rapid was 5p more....

Last edited:
Like fluffykins says plus happy wife and she would not been able to spend while you waited at your preferred stop

All chargers are slow until you get above 20% battery, after that is when you notice the difference on a rapid.

All chargers are slow until you get above 20% battery, after that is when you notice the difference on a rapid.
Is that correct? From graphs like this I'd assumed the lower the better?
zoe vs mg5.jpg

Either way, don't think I'll be going past an empty charger again unless I know I'll get home.

It's about preserving the batteries, slow charge up to 20 then it ramps up till it gets to 80 and then drops off again. All dc chargers work in much the same way. You'll only ever see the max charge for a short time somewhere in the middle.

This is reminiscent of ICE drivers driving miles to another filling station to save a few pence per ltr, using more fuel than the money they saved :LOL:
The EV charging infrastructure isn't robust enough to shop around for the cheapest yet. ;)
Tight wad.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom