Rattle from the rear

Bobby759

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have had my car for about a month now and have noticed a clicking/rattle coming from behind me when driving, I thought it was the rear head restraints but I removed them and I still have the rattle. It only occurs when going over a bumpy road (so pretty much everywhere) does anyone know what this may be? I've nothing in the boot there is nothing on the tyre inflation kit that rattles. I suppose I could get someone to drive it while I sat in the back and listened but thought I'd ask the forum first in case you could point me in the right place.

Hi Bobby, try driving around with the rear seats lowered. It cold be one of the catches.
Anyone who has owned a Lexus RX 400/450h will know where I’m coming from ?

Plug the seat belts in and see if it goes. I noticed the seat belt buckles sometimes rattle on the plastic trim if they're left hanging.

I have noticed a little rattle from the sunroof in my car. Not when it is slid open but when it is just in the tilt position.......other than that it's fine.

I had this problem with my EV Exclusive, I was more or a knock than a rattle and only on going over bumps. I and the dealer thought it was the boot catch and replaced it but the knock continued. It only appeared to happen when the vehicle was cold i.e. when it first came out of my garage or on cold days., and only when the sunroof was closed. The dealer did some adjustments to the sunroof and it seems to have cured it. The test will be when winter arrives, but I'm hoping for the best.

I have had my car for about a month now and have noticed a clicking/rattle coming from behind me when driving, I thought it was the rear head restraints but I removed them and I still have the rattle. It only occurs when going over a bumpy road (so pretty much everywhere) does anyone know what this may be? I've nothing in the boot there is nothing on the tyre inflation kit that rattles. I suppose I could get someone to drive it while I sat in the back and listened but thought I'd ask the forum first in case you could point me in the right place.
Try the rubber buffers on the tail gate screw them out half a turn until the rattle stops...thats how I cured mine

I had this problem with my EV Exclusive, I was more or a knock than a rattle and only on going over bumps. I and the dealer thought it was the boot catch and replaced it but the knock continued. It only appeared to happen when the vehicle was cold i.e. when it first came out of my garage or on cold days., and only when the sunroof was closed. The dealer did some adjustments to the sunroof and it seems to have cured it. The test will be when winter arrives, but I'm hoping for the best.
Hello,

I have had pretty much the same knock from the rear since new last September with all the same symptoms. Also recently when using the sunroof the knocks/rattles increase more so and constant when going over bumps in the road. It seems to be when the sun shade is fully back I think. The sunroof itself seems solid enough as we've held the sunroof in various positions whilst driving and the knocks are still there.

I imagine probably best to get it in to the dealer when I can or just wondering if anyone thoughts to an easy fix? 🙏

Thanks in advance.

I have the same knock but it only happens on very cold days.

I have the same knock but it only happens on very cold days.
Trying to think, agreed yes it's mainly been colder days when setting off in the morning. So haven't been to bothered as it could wait until the first service to address. It's dramatically more though when the sunroof is open and then definitely not temperature dependent. I must try to record the noise later

It was so bad that I thought I’d left the tailgate unlatched. But, in temperatures above freezing I haven’t heard it since. I’ve not tried the sunroof but it seems to me to be coming from the back of the car.

Ps - There are rubber stops on the tailgate that screw in. I did have a play with these but I don’t think it was related.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom