Rattling centre arm rest

mattdav

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anyone had to deal with a rattling front centre armrest? The one in our ZS has a really annoying rattle from anything above about 20mph. The resolution is to just touch it or rest your arm on it. This is not ideal though.

I think the problem is lateral play in the hinge rather than the latch. I can't see any way to unscrew bits to take a look. Has anyone else had and resolved this issue?

A bit of spray grease on it should dampen it a bit.

Has anyone had to deal with a rattling front centre armrest? The one in our ZS has a really annoying rattle from anything above about 20mph. The resolution is to just touch it or rest your arm on it. This is not ideal though.

I think the problem is lateral play in the hinge rather than the latch. I can't see any way to unscrew bits to take a look. Has anyone else had and resolved this issue?
Do you have any of that self adhesive, felt fronted "Silent Tape" ?.
If so, use four pieces in each corner of the arm rest, it will stop the rattle by providing a barrier between the arm rest itself and the hinged lid.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have any of that self adhesive, felt fronted "Silent Tape" ?.
If so, use four pieces in each corner of the arm rest, it will stop the rattle by providing a barrier between the arm rest itself and the hinged lid.
can confirm that this stuff is an absolute bloody miracle worker :) it sorts out so many flap/door related rattles on car interiors.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is it the same tape as for wrapping wiring looms in classic cars, I've got loads of that ?

Is it the same tape as for wrapping wiring looms in classic cars, I've got loads of that ?
No @Kithmo .
Yeah - I know the tape you are thinking about, but it’s name has slipped my mind at the moment.
It’s a bit like electrical tape, but it has a cloth texture to it and it’s has a matt finish.
Yeah - Favoured for wrapping wiring looms etc.
The tape in the link is designed to act as a “Anti Rattle” type tape.
It has a self adhesive side ( like electrical tape ) and the other face side, has a very fine brush martial texture to it.
It feels like the reverse side of suede ( ish ).
Some of the high end manufactures, use a wider version, to line the bottom of storage bins in the door cards, this is to stop keys etc rattling around in the door pockets.
Sometimes the tape is referred to as “Silent” tape, because it stops trim rattle.
I used it on my previous Gen1 ZS EV to cure an annoying rattle we had when travelling over a poor broken road surface.
After weeks of trying to track it down, we found it was the plastic trim that housed the sun roof control and the interior lights.
When the noise occurred, if you applied upward pressure with your fingers, the rattle would stop !.
So, I removed the interior light section first and tried it again.
Rattle was still there !.
I then removed the white surround and applied a thin strip of the trim tape to the back side of the white plastic surround.
Refitted the surround and used the car for over a week, to ensure the rattle had gone.
Then I did the same thing to the interior light surround trim, before refitting to the car.
All was good, no rattle !.
We had the car for well over 12 months after applying this DIY fix and the rattle did not return !.
Did the same thing when had another rattle from the drivers “A” pillar.
It was the small speaker located in the lower half of the “A” pillar trim this time.
Same thing, popped out the speaker grill and then the speaker,
Applied a thin strip of the tape to line the speaker grill and rebuilt and returned to the “A” pillar.
Rattle gone !.
This tape is perfect to line between to different interior materials that like to either rattle or creak when rubbing together.
Like when soft trim is coming into direct contact with hard plastic trim surface.
It like a anti friction, anti fretting type tape that can be placed between two items of trim.
It’s cheap enough to buy and have at the ready when that annoying rattle or squeak starts !.
I have about a metre of it left, just in case.
The biggest culprit is the hard plastics coming into contact with either the body structure, or some of the soft trim items.
Finding the source of the rattle is the hardest part, then you have to be able to get between the two offending items to apply the tape, that is the only down side.
But it 100% does the job alright !.

Last edited:
@Lovemyev

Thank you so much for the info about the anti rattle tape. I bought a short length and attached small pieces either sides of the magnetic fixings on the furniture door and the integrated washing machine. It rattled like crazy when spinning, and although I can still hear it, it has dampened the noise down considerably.
Such a useful forum 😊

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom