Real world motorway range

neilp7865

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Deliberating whether I can manage a standard range (or used pre facelift model).

Main concern is that I need to be able to do a regular jaunt of 120 miles one a single charge. Wondering whether current owners can validate if this is feasible?

(Apols in advance if this has been covered in an FAQ - happy to be directed)

In freezing weather I've managed 126 miles (heater on etc) on a charge so only just about at your limit. Warmer temperatures should be fine. (That's in a 2020 model)

A 120 mile range on the motorway is going to be about the max you will get, especially at winter temperatures. Depends on many things, 60mph, little or no heating, and maybe a good lorry to follow. You won't have any leeway for recharging at the other end. And you will need a 100% charge to return. I'm certain an 80% charge would not do it.....

This will be my first EV (we also have a PHEV and found we both groan when it switches to petrol!) so whilst I’ll be sensible, I want be able to travel with heating / AC as appropriate

Suspect it’ll be the LR for me… if I’m too impatient for the MG5 facelift to arrive in the UK.

The new 2022 SR should do it, when it comes over here.
My “back of envelope” maths was thinking 70% of the quoted range (198) on a cold day on motorway was 140 miles. So in theory 20 miles to spare… potentially nudging into the “squeaky bum” territory!

Having had the ZSEV for 2 years & 25,000 miles, I would be dubious about using it for 120 miles per day, day in day out. It would be fine on a still summer's day but would start to be a pain on a cold windy day, especially once the battery has started to degrade. On these days, you would be watching the predicted range like a hawk and modulating your speed accordingly - not something you will want to do when trying to rush home from work. So go for the MG5 or the new SR ZSEV.

2020 Model - Here in Qld we regularly get 200-230 klms motorway driving with A/c on but light weight loading, i.e. limited gear an 1 driver. We don't experience the real cold weather though which does knock the range off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom