Really stupid ABRP routings

I think ABRP may be assuming you're travelling right now and taking into account current traffic, temperatures and possibly charger occupancy when it comes up with a route. Which isn't helping much if you're planning your next summer holiday.

And no, I wouldn't give them any money.

I keep my ABRP subscription because I find it very useful. I won't argue that Gmaps navigation is better, but unless you already know which charging station you want to go or that you are very certain that the charging infra in your area is so good, I think you will need ABRP.

I'm using ABRP mostly when I have to drive outside my normal 'area of operation' .. with ABRP I don't have to research first where the chargers are located, just need put in my destination and let them do the thinking ..

also because I connect ABRP with the OBD dongle, I don't have to worry if I will make it to my destination or the intended charger .. if ABRP says I'll reach it, I will reach it ..

if I were traveling in NL only, I could most like not use ABRP, since most gas station along the highway would have a charger. But I use it anyway, so that it would collect my driving info and give better prediction.

I think ABRP may be assuming you're travelling right now and taking into account current traffic, temperatures and possibly charger occupancy when it comes up with a route. Which isn't helping much if you're planning your next summer holiday.

And no, I wouldn't give them any money.
hmm ... I've done this many times before .. if you put in the date of your travel, then it actually give a reasonable output .. obviously it won't be 100% accurate, but it's quite okay ..

I found it was great at getting me to a non-working charger.
You can't really fault ABRP for that do you? I mean ABRP relies on the charger's owner to provide the correct information. That's why I set my preference to Ionity,Fastned and Tesla

I couldn't find that function after a recent update to the software. I don't have a paid subscription but I thought I saw it before.
What function are you looking for?

You can't really fault ABRP for that do you?
Why not? It still takes me to non-working charge stations for which they do have status links.

The whole ABRP sales pitch revolves around providing efficient and real time route planning to remove those concerns from the driver. If you end up at a non-working charge station, then it's certainly not efficient.

It's a classic case of over promise and under deliver.

Why not? It still takes me to non-working charge stations for which they do have status links.
Ok .. I think my point is that, everyone (you included if you are doing the planning manually), will make the same mistake, because you are basing your planning / decision based on a faulty information that were given by another party that you have no control of.

last night my family and I went out to a restaurant that google maps and their own website said were open .. they were closed .. I blamed the restaurant because for sure they provide false information. I did not blamed Google for 'routing' me to that restaurant.

Ok .. I think my point is that, everyone (you included if you are doing the planning manually), will make the same mistake, because you are basing your planning / decision based on a faulty information that were given by another party that you have no control of.

last night my family and I went out to a restaurant that google maps and their own website said were open .. they were closed .. I blamed the restaurant because for sure they provide false information. I did not blamed Google for 'routing' me to that restaurant.
I get what you are saying, but if your service delivery promise is not being delivered then it is incumbent on you to either:
i. work on finding out why and fix it, or
ii. to not make that promise in the first place.

A google search is free so expectations are appropriately lower, while a restaurant check is pretty quick/easy with a phone call with a phone number google provides.

The big difference is I was paying a premium for a service to help me out while driving to save time and stress. ABRP does neither. It's not simple nor trivial to check on the status of charge stations while driving, which is why I was paying a premium to do that for me.

Ok.. fair point.. although I still don't see a better alternative at the moment..

Regarding the strange routing decision,you could report it and provide feedback.

From ABRP FAQ driving section

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227-132929.png
    Screenshot_20231227-132929.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 24
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom