Rear Flexible Brake Pipes

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I had the rear wheels off today and noticed what looks like a piece of poor design.

brake pipe.jpg

With the suspension hanging, this flexible pipe is being put under an enormous strain.
Future point of failure I suspect.
The fronts don't have this problem BTW.

No, it won't see this in normal driving but this is a service position so it's still poor design and completely avoidable.

Last edited:
Wow have to agree that is bad one, poor design maybe, poor assembly maybe, hopefully we will soon find out I trust, one thing I don’t understand is Stuart 57 states total brake loss !!! for many many years now vehicles have been fitted with Dual Circuit Braking systems I think they call it, where o/s/f is connected with the n/s/r with one supply from the master cylinder, and the n/s/f and o/s/r supplied with another supply from the master cylinder to avoid this total loss of braking I sure hope the MG vehicles are.
Also these hoses should not be at any point under any such excessive strain no matter what position the suspension is in while the car is in motion, Worrying.
I had noticed when I did some under sealing when I first got my 5SR the hoses look very exposed to the elements and thought then they would have been better if they had had the wire springs around them which some do fit.
Les

Last edited:
The brake hose on mine chafed through, total brake failure. The car has now gone back to the dealer, very disappointed. No more MGs for me.View attachment 8061
That looks like it's been fitted at the wrong angle on the union, forcing the bend outwards towards the wheel (rather than straight) which has obviously rubbed through on contact.

If, as part of the PDI, that vehicle was put on a ramp that could be spotted a mile off. Sadly those days are long gone...

When I looked at mine, I didn't see any problem with the orientation of the hose, just its length/securing arrangement. It's worth checking this again.

That looks bad - sorry to hear about your experience!

Is this the rear wheels? What mileage have you done?
It was on the OSR, I had only just collected the new vehicle from the dealer in Burnley. I had even purchased a personalized number plate ( MG05 EVL )! I do not know why this was not picked up on the vehicle PDI, it was so obvious!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom