Rear passenger door not opening

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Morning all,

Having sorted out a couple of queries with this new SR Connect with the knowledge of you guys, I have found an issue with the rear nearside passenger door not opening from inside.

I know about the pull-release-pull technique but the door won't open after stopping. It doesn't make a difference if I unlock the car from the drivers button or not.
The offside rear door is working fine (as are both front).

Anyone come across this issue? If there is only one passenger in the rear, the nearside is the place most will usually sit. I did read that someone had the issue but it resolved itself after a period of time but I guess this could be called a safety issue in case of emergency.:unsure:

Morning all,

Having sorted out a couple of queries with this new SR Connect with the knowledge of you guys, I have found an issue with the rear nearside passenger door not opening from inside.

I know about the pull-release-pull technique but the door won't open after stopping. It doesn't make a difference if I unlock the car from the drivers button or not.
The offside rear door is working fine (as are both front).

Anyone come across this issue? If there is only one passenger in the rear, the nearside is the place most will usually sit. I did read that someone had the issue but it resolved itself after a period of time but I guess this could be called a safety issue in case of emergency.:unsure:
The safety child lock is engaged !.
That is why you can’t open it from the inside of the car.
Open the door from the outside and then turn off the child lock 🔒 with the little tab, that is located by the main door catch.
In this picture, the child lock is turned OFF.

F1A44D7F-4F37-43F6-90AB-595E99D65F1A.jpeg

Can you hear the lock disengage in that door, when you lock / unlock the doors from the main switch in the drivers door ?.
Maybe the manual control rod, that is actioned by pulling on the internal handle, has become detached ?.
It works fine from the outside of course.
Quick call into the dealers to remove the door card, should locate the problem straight away.

Definitely sounds like a fault then. Could be the child lock mechanism itself is broken in which case it's a warranty job.
Seemed very unlikely you'd not have thought of this first so thanks for the confirmation (y)

Well, just been out and tried a couple of permutations.
Car unlocked door opens from the outside.
After I sit in, close door and it will open from inside.
If car is locked (from the drivers door button) door will not open using pull release pull. Other rear door operates normally.

It seems the internal handle mechanism does work but only when door unlocked and has been opened from the outside first. The child lock lever does not seem to have the "bite", or stiffness of the other side so maybe this is the first port of call.

Not sure if I'll have an issue with going to the local dealer as I bought the car from Chorley and I'm in Swansea. I don't know how it works but the guy in Chorley mentioned if there is a problem with the car it has to be changed over from Chorley to the local dealer. I know they won't be particularly welcoming as I didn't buy it from them. They actually have no cars and didn't know when they will get any.

I agree that I should take it to a dealer. I've removed dozens of door cards in my time but I'm not going to touch this one!

I know they won't be particularly welcoming as I didn't buy it from them.
I understand your point of view, but the car is covered under warranty and therefore can be submitted to ANY MG dealer for work to be carried out under the T&C's of the warranty.
the problem could be classed as a safety issue here !.
The dealer will be paid for their work by MG regardless who does the work.
It is very likely that the lads at the Chorley group would not be expecting to get the servicing work etc on your car, purely given the distance involved.
I am in a similar situation, my car was supplied by the Chorley lads.
We passed at least another 5 main dealers on route for collection.
I have 3 main dealers very close by, one is less than 15 minutes and the second & third are only 20 - 25 mins from my home address.
So, will I make a round trip of almost 200 miles to get my work done at Chorley ?.
Extremely likely is the quick answer.
They have very experienced EV tech's and this alone is the main reason why I would make the trip.
Having the LR model makes it a lot easier now of course !.

Bought an Ioniq, and then a Kona from Worcester and had fault repairs and servicing done at my local dealer in Weston super Mare. No questions or issues with it not being sold by them.

Nothing wrong with the car door it there to stop the wife going out and spending your money on things she wants not what she needs 😂😂😂👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I could do with three of my doors not working properly then !.
My wife is the only person who could find a shop open on the moon :oops:🤷‍♂️:ROFLMAO:.

Well, just been out and tried a couple of permutations.
Car unlocked door opens from the outside.
After I sit in, close door and it will open from inside.
If car is locked (from the drivers door button) door will not open using pull release pull. Other rear door operates normally.

It seems the internal handle mechanism does work but only when door unlocked and has been opened from the outside first. The child lock lever does not seem to have the "bite", or stiffness of the other side so maybe this is the first port of call.

Not sure if I'll have an issue with going to the local dealer as I bought the car from Chorley and I'm in Swansea. I don't know how it works but the guy in Chorley mentioned if there is a problem with the car it has to be changed over from Chorley to the local dealer. I know they won't be particularly welcoming as I didn't buy it from them. They actually have no cars and didn't know when they will get any.

I agree that I should take it to a dealer. I've removed dozens of door cards in my time but I'm not going to touch this one!
I am in a similar situation, went to my local dealer and test drove but they had nothing so i ordered elsewhere and got it delivered, i then went back to my local salesman a couple of weeks later and explained the situation said sorry i didnt order from you but .........
He shook my hand and said no problem, its booked in on friday for a diagnostic and they have no problem, doesnt matter where you bought the warranty is with MG not the individual dealer

I am in a similar situation, went to my local dealer and test drove but they had nothing so i ordered elsewhere and got it delivered, i then went back to my local salesman a couple of weeks later and explained the situation said sorry i didnt order from you but .........
He shook my hand and said no problem, its booked in on friday for a diagnostic and they have no problem, doesnt matter where you bought the warranty is with MG not the individual dealer
At dealerships, the sales department and the service department are run almost like two stand alone / separate items in the same building !.
The service department will charge for work carried out for the sales department,
Hard to comprehend, but it’s true.
Same thing if they have a body shop.
It has been this way for donkeys years !.
The service department don’t give a hoot where you bought your car from, they get paid to fix it no matter what !.
A car is a car to them.
It’s money in the till if it’s paid work.
Warranty work is not instant cash, but it’s still revenue regardless !.
A lot of dealers will just cherry pick what they want to do.
E.g. - Your car is booked in for a “Pay on the day” annual service, plus two small warranty issues like a rattle from the boot area and intermittent brake squeal.
When you collect your car, the service has been done ✅ ( chargeable ) but the other items are reported as “No fault found”.
Some things never change unfortunately.

Thank you @Lovemyev.

My last brand new car back in 2016 was a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (1.6D). Very nice car and with 7 seats served our purposes at that time well. Problem was after 90 miles, the car packed up and it turned out the EGR valve had failed.

Fair play, the garage was very good and as I was travelling to Heathrow the very next day to travel to Dubai on business, they gave me one of the salesman's cars to drive to Heathrow and leave it in T5 car park for a week before I drove it back! My car was ready for me when I returned.

I'm in a quandary about whether to go to the local place or make a couple of days of it with the wife and go up to Chorley. I'll speak to Chorley and get a handle on if they have seen this issue before and if they have to order parts/ how long it might take to fix.

Thanks for your inputs all. (y)

So I spoke to Chorley this morning and we agreed that it would be prudent (in view of the distance and the fact they might not have the required parts in stock) to go local.

I called the local MG dealer, explained the situation and I will take her in on 17th June. They were obliging enough.

I'll update after this date just in case anyone else has this issue.

Thanks again to you all,
Andrew

So I spoke to Chorley this morning and we agreed that it would be prudent (in view of the distance and the fact they might not have the required parts in stock) to go local.

I called the local MG dealer, explained the situation and I will take her in on 17th June. They were obliging enough.

I'll update after this date just in case anyone else has this issue.

Thanks again to you all,
Andrew
Makes perfect sense to me !.
Worst case, it requires a complete new door catch mechanism.
I would hazard a guess, that it shares the same latch assembly as the long established petrol model or even the same catch as the first Gen ZS EV.
If so, parts availability should be good !.
Please keep us informed (y).

At dealerships, the sales department and the service department are run almost like two stand alone / separate items in the same building !.
The service department will charge for work carried out for the sales department,
Hard to comprehend, but it’s true.
Same thing if they have a body shop.
It has been this way for donkeys years !.
The service department don’t give a hoot where you bought your car from, they get paid to fix it no matter what !.
A car is a car to them.
It’s money in the till if it’s paid work.
Warranty work is not instant cash, but it’s still revenue regardless !.
A lot of dealers will just cherry pick what they want to do.
E.g. - Your car is booked in for a “Pay on the day” annual service, plus two small warranty issues like a rattle from the boot area and intermittent brake squeal.
When you collect your car, the service has been done ✅ ( chargeable ) but the other items are reported as “No fault found”.
Some things never change unfortunately.
Usually warranty work is paid at a less rate than off street work,I was told this by Kia dealers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom