Rear Sensors Going Nuts

Martinonline

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Further to Kithmo's post in and Rolfe's response in another thread, I attach two photos of the infotainment screen taken as I reverse out of my drive through narrow gates. The car warns me of impending doom - beeps galore which stop when the car's rear moves on to the pavement. Note the distance reading - 56cm - to each sides rather than to the rear which is clear. I do not like the dark glass in the rear so find the camera view essential.

Attachments

• Reversing 1.jpg
    Reversing 1.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 84
  • Reversing 2.jpg
    Reversing 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 94
The system on my SE is quite different. A four-segment arc wrapping the rear of the car. Each segment has three alert settings which turn green, then amber, then red, as an obstacle gets closer, accompanied by beeping of increasing frequency. One the beep is continuous, STOP, for the love of all that's holy.

I reverse up to my garage doors to green or maybe amber, two central segments only. Red doesn't give me enough room to open the garage door. Once the door is open the warning segments vanish, but as I reverse in the two side segments quickly go red, sensing the sides of the doors. Once the rear of the car is inside, the right-hand segment clears but the left-hand one stays at red, warning me that the garage wall is that close. As I reverse towards the stack of plastic boxes at the back of the garage the central segments come on again, green then amber then red.

I can go just into the red segments and still have enough room behind the car to walk through to plug in the granny charger, and know the door will clear the nose of the car when I close it. If I get to the point where the beep is continuous, I know that clearance at the rear is uncomfortably tight to walk behind the car.

In conjunction with the excellent wing mirrors it works a treat. I would have killed to have had that on my Golf. I don't get on with these fish-eye cameras at all.

It looks like the sensors on the side are picking up the edge of your narrow gates, mine does the same on my driveway as I am reversing out of a tight spot between the wall and other car. You can see on your second photo the edge zones are lit up yellow.

I've only ever had a reversing camera before, not both camera and sensors so I tend to ignore the beeping as long as I can see its clear in the camera and my mirrors.

I have a similar situation with a hedge on one corner as in reversing off the drive. I suppose it's beeping to warn me not to put full lock on towards it.

The camera was the main reason we went for the trophy. Once your used to having one there is no going back.

While this is the first car I've had with parking sensors, a friend of mine who has a narrow gateway to her drive, has them. Every time she reverses in or out the things go bananas because of her proximity to the gate posts. She's used to it, ignores the beeps, and just uses her mirrors. I think they all do it.

While this is the first car I've had with parking sensors, a friend of mine who has a narrow gateway to her drive, has them. Every time she reverses in or out the things go bananas because of her proximity to the gate posts. She's used to it, ignores the beeps, and just uses her mirrors. I think they all do it.
Some cars used to have a way to calibrate on nearby fences/walls so they only beep at a much closer scale - typically they'd beep a lot initially and then it would change and adapt to a closer range.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back