Rear Window Dash Cam

Ruislip Resident

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Has anybody fitted a rear window (looking backwards) dash cam. This is one of the ones thats an attachment to the the front one (plugged into it by a cable), but attached to the rear window. If so was it easy to get the cables sorted out running around the car out of sight and to the main unit on the front windscreen ( powered by the USB near the mirror). This is for a MK2 LRTC with sun roof.

Last edited:
Yes, I did. I ran the cable under the trim above the doors to the back. It was relatively easy, took me about 30 minutes.

Cool. That's the info I was after. That's what my Father in law did in a Fiesta. I just wanted to know if it was easily doable in a ZSEV, which you have confirmed that it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, there are airbags in the seats and in the B pillar (above where the seatbelt comes out). I ran the cable pretty much directly next to the door seals, which would put it above the B pillar airbag.

I'm certain Side Curtain airbags will come out from where you have run your cable.
Possibly making them less effective and making the cable a high speed projectile in an accident.

I ran mine under the head lining to the A pillar.
Removed A pillar trim.
Ran cable behind all the wires and curtain bag anchor point.
Down to the floor trim (remove door seal for ease of access)
Tucked under the side trim all the way to the back.
Up under the C pillar trim, to pop out at the rear head lining.

Last edited:
Has anybody fitted a rear window (looking backwards) dash cam. This is one of the ones thats an attachment to the the front one (plugged into it by a cable), but attached to the rear window. If so was it easy to get the cables sorted out running around the car out of sight and to the main unit on the front windscreen ( powered by the USB near the mirror). This is for a MK2 LRTC with sun roof.
I had one fitted by nextbase and they did a great job

I'm certain Side Curtain airbags will come out from where you have run your cable.
Possibly making them less effective and making the cable a high speed projectile in an accident.
I'm going to work on the car this weekend anyway (installing gas lifts under the hood), so I will check if the cable is anywhere near something airbag related.

I had one fitted by nextbase and they did a great job
I’ve had nothing but trouble with Nextbase camera when the rear facing camera is installed. The dash cam (a 622) hangs after a few days of use. Two cameras in two cars the same, numerous firmware and different (Nextbase) SD Cards.

I ran mine under the head lining to the A pillar.
Removed A pillar trim.
Ran cable behind all the wires and curtain bag anchor point.
Down to the floor trim (remove door seal for ease of access)
Tucked under the side trim all the way to the back.
Up under the C pillar trim, to pop out at the rear head lining.

It took me a little longer because the weather was crappy, but I finally managed to take a look.
You were right, there are curtain airbags in the way, but it's not that bad. I pulled off the trim on the A pillar and ran the cable underneath the airbags, and then (as before) along the door seals, so it is out of the way of the airbags everywhere now. It's also under the trim of the B pillar, so it has nowhere to go even if the airbags would try to take it for a ride.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom