Rear windscreen wiper

AlexW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Is it normal that when in reverse, the rear windscreen wiper doesn't function?

Today when leaving work I needed to clear the rear windscreen, but to do so I need to go back into neutral. Not the first time I've noticed, but seems like a flaw in the system.

Is this the same with everyone else?

Mine auto wipes when in reverse. If I use the front wipers the back also wipe if I'm in reverse.

Mine auto wipes when in reverse. If I use the front wipers the back also wipe if I'm in reverse.
I've only had the car a week so could just be me. My front wipers are on auto but the back just stays off and doesn't work when I turn the end of the stick when reversing.

Try just using the wash function of the wiper stalk when in reverse that's when mine wiped without me setting the rear to on. Hope that makes sense.

I’ve not tried using just rear wiper while reversing, but the rear wiper definitely comes on automatically in reverse when the front wipers are on (the manual confirms that is what should happen)

Thanks, I guess though my front wipers were on auto, they weren't running so maybe that's why it didn't work. I just had condensation on the rear window and my camera was covered in mud - perks of driving down farm tracks when wet!

My car behaves exactly the same as yours so I think it's normal if somewhat illogical :)

Think most cars are the same? When in reverse, the rear wiper will only come on when the front wipers are active. If it activated every time reverse was engaged, that would be illogical.

Think most cars are the same? When in reverse, the rear wiper will only come on when the front wipers are active. If it activated every time reverse was engaged, that would be illogical.
It's not that I always want it to come on when in reverse. I tried to switch it on by turning the end of the control and nothing happened when in reverse. Seems odd that I can't manually start the wiper when I need it most.

They haven't tried to prevent you from wiping a dry screen have they? If there's no rain detected and you try to use it?

Have you tried using a the wash wipe in reverse to see if that works? 👍

I can do a rear screen wipe on my other car whilst in reverse without the front wipers being active.

I tested it this morning in park, drive and reverse- rear wiper works when it is switched on and it comes on automatically in reverse if the front wipers are on. I have the MG5 SR Excite so not got automatic wipers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom