Recall for brake light in KERS 3 /rate of deceleration.

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve just read the 5 is getting a recall to resolve the issue that the brake lights do not illuminate when the regen causes the car to decelerate past a certain threshold - as specified by law.

Anyone heard about the ZS getting a recall too to fix this?
It is something that worries me when someone is driving right up my rear end

I’ve just read the 5 is getting a recall to resolve the issue that the brake lights do not illuminate when the regen causes the car to decelerate past a certain threshold - as specified by law.

Anyone heard about the ZS getting a recall too to fix this?
It is something that worries me when someone is driving right up my rear end
The ZS EV has never had a problem with this. The lights come on when in kers3.

You can actually see the centre rear brake light come on in the ZS in your mirror.

On my car the brake lights do come on with Kers, but only Kers3.
They do not come on for Kers 1 or 2.

On my car the brake lights do come on with Kers, but only Kers3.
They do not come on for Kers 1 or 2.
That's what they're supposed to do. The requirement is for the lights to come on when the retardation of the brakes reaches a certain trigger level. If you're driving ICE, and you come off the power, the brake lights don't come on, even if the engine braking is quite substantial. Similar for EVs.

I rarely get to drive our (my wifes) ZS in the dark, so have just been out on some quiet back roads where it's not lit up, and I can see the brake light coming on :)

I tried a few different things to try to identify what triggers it exactly, it looks like it is down to it sensing a certain rate of deceleration (which is what it's supposed to be based on).

Could only get it to trigger the brake light in Kers 3, I guess it may do it in Kers 2 going up a hill for example.
I've never noticed it particularly before, I was watching the amps too; it doesn't instantly go to negative amps when you lift completely off even though it must be doing "regen" as it's slowing down too much to just be coasting. The brake lights sometimes get triggered before it even starts showing negative amps on the dash.

So, I can't put being flashed a couple of times when turning off, to lack of brake lights from regen, unless they thought it wasn't coming on soon enough!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom