Smokeysworld

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a mk1 MG ZS EV, bought in July. All through the last 5 months the regen, whilst in 3, slows the car and I see the needle go into the charging section of the dial.

Now, I know when the battery is full, a message pops up saying regen won't work and to use the brakes, which makes total sense.

However, whether coincidence or not, I have noticed since the cold weather, regen doesn't always work. It doesn't seem to be if its over or under a specific outdoor temp though.

So the question is, are there safety features or something at play that will, without a warning in screen, limit the regen function under certain criteria other than a full battery? Or should I be concerned about a failing feature?

Thanks.

The battery can't charge as quickly when it is cold. The BMS will limit the amount of regen charge in line with battery temperature in the same way as it would using a public charger. You'd need to pre-heat the battery, if you want maximum regen, but you might not be much better off, in stored energy terms, on a short journey.

Probably safest to assume you haven't got any regen if you have a full battery or it is cold.

If your Regen has been reduced for the reasons already stated, remember there is a positive effect that comes from this.
Extra use of the foot brake will give your brake discs the much needed work out / clean that they very likely to need, as the result of stronger Regen in warmer conditions means little use.
Especially if you are a low mileage user.
I always use the default mode, which is set at 3 strongest level, but I do try to remember to reduce back to level 1 with the KERS button for one day, about once every two weeks or so.
This helps prevent rust and pitting of the disc’s which has become a target 🎯 now at both service time / MOT time.
Some owners have received quotes of almost £1,000 to replace all discs and pads at the main agents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I always may a point of using the brakes, every trip, as my use is fairly intermittent. I've been caught for rusty discs, too many times in the past. The pads and discs should still last the life of the car, though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom