Regeneration brake lights

Hi folks,I'm just jumping in here with this - don't mean to be rude!
As people have said above, there are regulations for when brake lights should turn on.

The regulations for the UK state that if the deceleration is
  • less than or equal to 0.7 m/s/s the signal shall not be generated
  • greater than 0.7 m/s/s and less than or equal to 1.3 m/s/s the signal may be generated
  • greater than 1.3 m/s/s the signal shall be generated

I've been following a different ev forum for a few years. People there were trying to use changes in speed, and the time it took to make that change as a way of checking their rate of deceleration. I knew that most phones and tablets had good accelerometers in them, so I thought I'd try to find an app that would help. I couldn't find one though, but kept it in the back of my mind til now. I've written an app that should help. You can find it in your appstore from links on www.acceleration.wales

Full functionality for checking brake lights is completely free. I hope it's of some use.
This sounds very interesting and I will certainly take a look
Thank you
Les

Hi
has anyone else had the software recall for operation of brake lights under KERS done?
I did ask the garage how to check wether it worked or not. Didn't get a satisfacory answer.
Will get my son to drive behind and check will report back when I have checked
Sounds like the most sensible answer to solve the conundrum. I await your findings.

Got it, thanks. I have to pop out later and will try to remember to use it!

(I'm a bit of a non-believer in the problem. The braking is no harsher than my old Ampera which showed no lights either. maybe that was wrong too but it really doesn't feel that fierce, but maybe I'm just used to it)

I get acceleration and deceleration readings from my dashcam so no need for anything extra.

My Outlander doesn’t show the brake lights either. If anyone hit me up the back it’s their fault. Said the insurance company.

Hi folks,I'm just jumping in here with this - don't mean to be rude!
As people have said above, there are regulations for when brake lights should turn on.

The regulations for the UK state that if the deceleration is
  • less than or equal to 0.7 m/s/s the signal shall not be generated
  • greater than 0.7 m/s/s and less than or equal to 1.3 m/s/s the signal may be generated
  • greater than 1.3 m/s/s the signal shall be generated

I've been following a different ev forum for a few years. People there were trying to use changes in speed, and the time it took to make that change as a way of checking their rate of deceleration. I knew that most phones and tablets had good accelerometers in them, so I thought I'd try to find an app that would help. I couldn't find one though, but kept it in the back of my mind til now. I've written an app that should help. You can find it in your appstore from links on www.acceleration.wales

Full functionality for checking brake lights is completely free. I hope it's of some use.
There is another thread on this issue which you may have missed where I mentioned the app I used to convince MG Motors there was a problem, I think it was NRG Labs Speedometer, free on Playstore and works a treat. Interestingly I think I'm right in saying that the regulation you quote above is Global and not just a UK one.

I think it comes from this:

Attachments

• Addendum 12-H Regulation No. 13-H Rev 2.pdf
    571.1 KB · Views: 143
Curious about the 1st line.

With traditional pedal brake setup the brake light switch was in the pedal box and it was easily possible to set it up that the brake light came on before play was taken up and therefore any braking action occurred at all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom