Replacing reversing camera

petercoupe

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello all.
My reversing camera (MG ZS. AO69) is rather blurred. I think the external glass has been scratched at some point. Is it possible to replace the camera? Thanks in advance.

Light scratching could be polished out but are you certain it isn't a camera fault.
It can be replaced if you find that necessary.

It’s just a sort of patchy blurred image on the screen.
I’ll try and grab a screenshot to post.

Could it just be moisture or a drop of rain or condensation? I occasionally find that the reversing cameras on my cars (both EVs but I don't think that's relevant here) need a wipe after rain. Probably the lint-free cloth you get with eye glasses would be best; I just use whatever is at hand.

I thought that too at first.
I cleaned them with spectacle cleaning fluid and a cloth, but no good.
Most of the image is OK but there are some blurred areas, outlined in the picture.

Attachments

• C8935375-00F0-4C2A-8F92-EFC21553C6B8.jpeg
    C8935375-00F0-4C2A-8F92-EFC21553C6B8.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 311
It may be misting inside the glass.
I think I'd report it as a warranty fault.

The position of the rear camera means that it is exposed to picking up the mud and dirt that normally accumulates in the tailgate area and therefore requires constant cleaning as well as possible wear and tear.
Its shame that SAIC missed a trick there as they could have done the same as VW. My current drive, Golf MK7 SV Match that has similar tailgate opening via the hinged badge has the camera fitted behind the badge. As the camera is fitted near the bottom of the badge cavity , selecting reverse opens the badge just enough to expose the camera but shielding it from the weather. I expect the cost factor decided that one. May be that's an improvement if they go for a mk3...
Slightly off topic, i have, like hundreds of others read all the comments and watched Utube videos so that when we finally receive our cars we can hit the ground running. My one query is the 360 camera and its poor resolution. What do you think or it?. Is it up to scratch, or would you have preferred a a high resolution rear camera and conventional front bumper sensors.
Many thank to all those knowledgeable ones with their comments while we are waiting

Could it just be moisture or a drop of rain or condensation? I occasionally find that the reversing cameras on my cars (both EVs but I don't think that's relevant here) need a wipe after rain. Probably the lint-free cloth you get with eye glasses would be best; I just use whatever is at hand.
I lick my thumb! 😂

Hello all.
My reversing camera (MG ZS. AO69) is rather blurred. I think the external glass has been scratched at some point. Is it possible to replace the camera? Thanks in advance.
Hi! It is possible. I have a reverse camera bought througt Aliexpress. If you disassemble the camera, can you take a photo of the car connector? With the color of the wires, please?

The position of the rear camera means that it is exposed to picking up the mud and dirt that normally accumulates in the tailgate area and therefore requires constant cleaning as well as possible wear and tear.
Its shame that SAIC missed a trick there as they could have done the same as VW. My current drive, Golf MK7 SV Match that has similar tailgate opening via the hinged badge has the camera fitted behind the badge. As the camera is fitted near the bottom of the badge cavity , selecting reverse opens the badge just enough to expose the camera but shielding it from the weather. I expect the cost factor decided that one. May be that's an improvement if they go for a mk3...
Slightly off topic, i have, like hundreds of others read all the comments and watched Utube videos so that when we finally receive our cars we can hit the ground running. My one query is the 360 camera and its poor resolution. What do you think or it?. Is it up to scratch, or would you have preferred a a high resolution rear camera and conventional front bumper sensors.
Many thank to all those knowledgeable ones with their comments while we are waiting

I would like front bumpers because the 360 camera only comes on when indicating. If you pull into a parking spac front on, mainly when charging, it doesnt activate ( I have set the * button on the steering wheel to activate the camera)

agree with the previous post, i had a VW e-Golf where the reversing camera was hidden behind the boot badge. It was always crystal clear as it never got dirty.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom