Retail Park Charging

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I visited Glasgow Fort today, just off the M8 near Glasgow (it’s not very imaginatively named!!)

Anyway, there are the usually variety of retail stores, places to eat, a gym and a cinema. And out of the 2,500 car parking spaces there are four EV charging bays. And these aren’t your common or garden 22kW AC. Nor are they even 7kW bays. No, these are two dual PodPoint units delivering 3kW per port. And only three are working.

I arrived and all three were in use - checked again after breakfast and two were available so I plugged in and went to the cinema. When leaving, all four bays were busy - a Leaf charging, a big Audi on the non-working connection, a BMW 3-Series plugged in but probably hadn’t activated charge before 15 minute limit so wasn’t charging - and me. A Tesla M3 popped on when I left.

So, 2,500 spaces and 3 x 3kW connections. And lots and lots of retail parks are similar. This place needs 40, if not 100 7kW connections. Even that would only be 4% of spaces. Given a movie visit lasts 2+ hours, even 100 connections isn’t a lot. I’ve personally no need for 50kW+ units at these locations but loads of 7kW makes sense.

I visited Glasgow Fort today, just off the M8 near Glasgow (it’s not very imaginatively named!!)

Anyway, there are the usually variety of retail stores, places to eat, a gym and a cinema. And out of the 2,500 car parking spaces there are four EV charging bays. And these aren’t your common or garden 22kW AC. Nor are they even 7kW bays. No, these are two dual PodPoint units delivering 3kW per port. And only three are working.

I arrived and all three were in use - checked again after breakfast and two were available so I plugged in and went to the cinema. When leaving, all four bays were busy - a Leaf charging, a big Audi on the non-working connection, a BMW 3-Series plugged in but probably hadn’t activated charge before 15 minute limit so wasn’t charging - and me. A Tesla M3 popped on when I left.

So, 2,500 spaces and 3 x 3kW connections. And lots and lots of retail parks are similar. This place needs 40, if not 100 7kW connections. Even that would only be 4% of spaces. Given a movie visit lasts 2+ hours, even 100 connections isn’t a lot. I’ve personally no need for 50kW+ units at these locations but loads of 7kW makes sense.
Agreed- that’s crazy. I’ve never encountered one at 3 kw. Is that a three pin plug then ?

Oh no I see on zap map they’re noted as type 2’s.
Aye, it’s a strange setup and I wouldn’t really mind 3kW as it’s free & most likely spend 2 to 3 hours there for food & movie - so can grab 10kWh during visit - but they need 20 rather than 4, even then it’s only just a little more power than a 50kW for all those.

C3B03369-84AA-4A45-9E2C-E6173F490AB1.png

Aye, it’s a strange setup and I wouldn’t really mind 3kW as it’s free & most likely spend 2 to 3 hours there for food & movie - so can grab 10kWh during visit - but they need 20 rather than 4, even then it’s only just a little more power than a 50kW for all those.

View attachment 7289
A useful wee top up which pays your fare over for an evening out certainly. But it’s a bit of a lottery with the sheer numbers of ev’s that are on the roads these days. We get the same on our weekly shop to Tesco- there’s usually office workers being dropped off or picked up with the cars they leave charging for hours on end. We’re normally an hour or so shopping and maybe a quick bite but at least we’re spending in the store. And it’s nice to pick up some free power to cover the eighteen miles there and back.

A useful wee top up which pays your fare over for an evening out certainly. But it’s a bit of a lottery with the sheer numbers of ev’s that are on the roads these days. We get the same on our weekly shop to Tesco- there’s usually office workers being dropped off or picked up with the cars they leave charging for hours on end. We’re normally an hour or so shopping and maybe a quick bite but at least we’re spending in the store. And it’s nice to pick up some free power to cover the eighteen miles there and back.
I walked to local tesco today - wish I’d taken the car as tins of Guinness 0.0 alcohol free stout are pretty heavy!!

This is what we need !.

Merryhill shopping centre in the Midlands has over 10,000 car park spaces.
And 4 x 7kw chargers.

It's like a game of its a knockout to get one that's not hogged by a hybrid or a shop worker, both parked up for 6+ hours.

Might be an issue finding the power to run 40 - 100 7kw chargers though, that's an awful lot of electricity.

Might be an issue finding the power to run 40 - 100 7kw chargers though, that's an awful lot of electricity.
That will be a problem for your local sub-station when everyone in your street has a BEV :-(

Last edited:
Merryhill shopping centre in the Midlands has over 10,000 car park spaces.
And 4 x 7kw chargers.

It's like a game of its a knockout to get one that's not hogged by a hybrid or a shop worker, both parked up for 6+ hours.
There are 2 paid chargers at my local Morrisons, including a notice that there is a surcharge of £10 per hour (I think) after a certain time or charge. Pity it can't work like that for the free PodPoint chargers I use at Tesco. I've seen someone leave their BMW 3 series hybrid plugged in for hours with the green light on the PodPoint charger flashing, which means the battery is at 100%

There are 2 paid chargers at my local Morrisons, including a notice that there is a surcharge of £10 per hour (I think) after a certain time or charge. Pity it can't work like that for the free PodPoint chargers I use at Tesco. I've seen someone leave their BMW 3 series hybrid plugged in for hours with the green light on the PodPoint charger flashing, which means the battery is at 100%
do the MG's have an app that sends a push notification to you phone when the car is fully charged?

the problem is then finding a space to move the car to especially if you are halfway round the store, not too bad if you and partner shopping but if on your own could be a pain

but yes there does need to be a deterrent for just putting a car on charge and leaving it there all day, some supermarkets round here have an ANPR system and a 2 hour parking limit (aldi's is the main one)

do the MG's have an app that sends a push notification to you phone when the car is fully charged?

the problem is then finding a space to move the car to especially if you are halfway round the store, not too bad if you and partner shopping but if on your own could be a pain

but yes there does need to be a deterrent for just putting a car on charge and leaving it there all day, some supermarkets round here have an ANPR system and a 2 hour parking limit (aldi's is the main one)
I like the idea of a time limit at the car park, which would apply to ICE, hybrid and EV vehicles. Where I live several supermarkets set a general time limit, but I'm only aware ( through reports ) of one of those actually issuing tickets. In January this year I was staying overnight in an hotel at Heathrow Airport before going on holiday for a week. I had prebooked parking at the multistorey car park which had several free PodPoint chargers. I plugged in on arrival, checked in at the hotel, had something to eat, then moved my car to a standard parking bay. I wonder how many people would leave it plugged in until they returned.

Shurely if your car will be fully charged on a free retail park charger when you are halfway around your grocery shop, one could argue you didn't need to charge it in the first place?

Shurely if your car will be fully charged on a free retail park charger when you are halfway around your grocery shop, one could argue you didn't need to charge it in the first place?
More importantly you shouldn't recharge even at home if you have more than 80% unless you have a need for a subsequent journey.

Our local tesco extra has a total of 6 points and a 2 hour limit on ANPR.. Introduced long before the chargers because office workers were meeting in the morning and leaving all but 1 car to go in to work. Workplace parking has to be included on a P11D and is deducted from the personal tax allowance.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom