Return of the fudging Leg-end??

Harry 17

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Firstly, apologies……I understand that this is an EV forum, so when I searched for a forum to post a thread about the God-Awful MG TF, clearly, I could not find an appropriate forum to post this thread on.

So, question for anyone who has a dalliance for the MG TF.

China has decreed that the new Cyberster (actually, thinking about it, I may have considered posting this in the ’Cyberster” thread), that the new two seater MG will be the MGC, based on the TF (possibly) and is being advertised as the return of the Legend!!!

Good God!!! A legend??

it maybe that at the time the really crappy TF two seater roadster was brought out to go straight up against the simply gorgeous, unbelievable, uttley beautiful BMW Z3, or infact it could compete against the well established, cheap-as-chips Mazda MX5, or indeed the new Apha Spyder/ Porsche Boxter/ hell !! even the Fiat Barchetta, the MG TF was anything BUT a Legend!!

now then, as many on here are truly knowledgable about all things MG, could any of you change this BMW Z3 (2.8 BTW) fan boys thoughts, on why I think the TF was so bad ?

more still, explain to me, why MG consider this car a legend, and the need to refer to it as that?

sorry, but as much as I like the MG brand (and have always done), I really can not see the TF as anything other than a fools errand.

SHould you be in any doubt of my thoughts on this utter rip off and disgrace to their heritage of a roadster, it is the car that got rid of MG in this country.

Phew, that felt better.

really interested in your thoughts regarding this.

Thank you

Last edited:
Crikey. Bit early to be on the sauce isn't it? The f/TF were pretty well regarded at the time and for an everyday 2 seater car I'd rate it higher than an mx5 (I have both). Not on track though. That's where the Mazda is much superior.

They'd not go far wrong using it as inspiration to be honest. Strikes a good balance between being a bit sporty and being usable on a daily basis.

Whilst it doesn't deserve complete adoration it certainly doesn't warrant the kicking you've just given it.

9 (30).jpg

Scuttle shake?
Screenshot_20220922-230819_Brave.jpg

Got nothing on the head gasket comment though, although I've not had to do mine in 10 years of ownership.

In the same way that handling isn't dictated just by spring stiffness, scuttle shake isn't just dictated by the torsional stiffness of the body/chassis. The damping of the system is of equal importance which is where the TF went wrong.

I can't say I've driven a TF, but it isnt an issue in the F. Different suspension mind, as the f is on hydrogas.

You don't have to be good to be legendary.
Darth Vader, Hannibal Lecter, Norman Bates, Ned Kelly, Freddy Kreuger
The Shake 'n' Vac adverts

Real or fictional - bad can be legendary. 😀

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom