Reversing

Bazzer44

Established Member
Reaction score
Something new today , well it was for me , sure it will be in the handbook but who reads them lol
Tried reversing and handbrake would not release , tried a couple of starts but still not released , caught a momentary message " put the seatbelt on" normally do anyway , put seatbelt on and hey presto brake comes off, how clever is that?
Driving forward it comes off anyway just reminds you with the audible sound

Something new today , well it was for me , sure it will be in the handbook but who reads them lol
Tried reversing and handbrake would not release , tried a couple of starts but still not released , caught a momentary message " put the seatbelt on" normally do anyway , put seatbelt on and hey presto brake comes off, how clever is that?
Is that using Auto Hold ?
Mine will let me drive (D or R) without the seatbelt on.

Is that using Auto Hold ?
Mine will let me drive (D or R) without the seatbelt on.
Yes Auto hold on
Can go forward no seatbelts reverse no seatbelts no go
Was panicking to start with then gobsmacked when put the seatbelts on on away we went
Have tried it again and no seatbelts no go
Mine must be a test car 😆

Yes Auto hold on
Can go forward no seatbelts reverse no seatbelts no go
Was panicking to start with then gobsmacked when put the seatbelts on on away we went
Have tried it again and no seatbelts no go
Mine must be a test car 😆
Mine behaves the same. Seat belt needs to be on in order to reverse.

Can you manually release the parking brake and then reverse?

My parking brake stayed on once when I wanted to reverse into my garage (Yes I keep the car in the garage!) and I found the cause to be the drivers door was not fully closed.

Dave

I had never experienced this before as my car can reverse without the seatbelt being connected, until today! :rolleyes:

However, the car was on a bit of a slope (I was facing downhill) and I got the message on the dash to put my seatbelt on, and when I did, the car reversed okay. When I was on a level surface, I didn't need to have the seatbelt on and the car reversed with no issue.

Were you on a slope when you experienced this?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Tried mine earlier, it won't reverse either without the seatbelt connected. Never noticed it before. The one thing that really winds me up is I have to park close to a kerb when I'm parking on my street, I've always drove in then reversed back with the drivers door open a bit so I can look down and get close to the kerb without scraping the alloys. Sometimes the MG will allow me to do this, sometimes (more often than not actually) it won't. Weird innit?

I've not had a problem reversing without wearing the seatbelt, and I was a bit puzzled why it wouldn't reverse. No warnings on the dash but when I realised the door wasn't fastened and then of course I closed it then it went into the garage OK. As to level, there is a very slight slope towards the garage. As an aside, I turn the auto park brake off when reversing into my garage.

Dave

Tried mine earlier, it won't reverse either without the seatbelt connected. Never noticed it before. The one thing that really winds me up is I have to park close to a kerb when I'm parking on my street, I've always drove in then reversed back with the drivers door open a bit so I can look down and get close to the kerb without scraping the alloys. Sometimes the MG will allow me to do this, sometimes (more often than not actually) it won't. Weird innit?
I usually tilt the mirror down to do that.

I had never experienced this before as my car can reverse without the seatbelt being connected, until today! :rolleyes:

However, the car was on a bit of a slope (I was facing downhill) and I got the message on the dash to put my seatbelt on, and when I did, the car reversed okay. When I was on a level surface, I didn't need to have the seatbelt on and the car reversed with no issue.

Cheers

Bloggsy
No pretty level

I noticed the car would not reverse, then I found the drivers door was not properly shut.

Mine won't let me move with the door open, but will with no seat belt on D and R.
Edit: Correction: I just checked and I can move it with the drivers door open, D or R.

Last edited:

Cheers

Bloggsy
The difference with a slope explains a few things...
I reverse off a slope at home and it's seemed variable. Sometimes I move just selecting R and other times I need to use the accelerator...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom