Roadside Assistance Tested LV

Mr C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I pushed my range to the limit, I am getting used to how the new car performs.
Last night on my way home my battery range suddenly went to dots ... and I had 3% and the car went into a limited speed power mode.

I was 7 miles away from home and a charge point. I had made the same journey a week before and made it home with 6% remaining, I did not factor the cold weather and temperature drop.

I managed to get to a garage which was closed, time to test my new car insurance. I was in a bit of a panic and getting very cold, I had no insurance details with me and had to search for the number online with my phone.

The insurance company was very helpful and had someone out to me within 30 minutes, they called regularly to check on me until the recovery truck came.

Lesson learnt and very embarrassed.

I pushed the car too far. I did not plan for this to happen.

I will try and avoid making this mistake again.

I now have the road assistance details in the car and on my phone, I will plan my journey next time making sure I have enough range and where the chargers are on my journey.

Thanks to LV

Did your car stop completely and not let. You continue?

Did your car stop completely and not let. You continue?
No it didn't stop completely, there was enough left in reserve to drive it on and off the car transporter, I don't recommend doing this, I am not in a rush to repeat it, not a fun evening. The car is all charged up now and back to normal. LV saved the day.

Are you aware the car comes with free AA cover? There should be an AA recovery card in your owner's manual pack. The cover is renewed with every annual service at an MG dealer and the first year is included with the car purchase

Are you aware the car comes with free AA cover? There should be an AA recovery card in your owner's manual pack. The cover is renewed with every annual service at an MG dealer and the first year is included with the car purchase
Didn't know that, Thanks for the heads up (y)

Interestingly there was a survey of EV breakdowns a few months back and the commonest cause was not running out of electrons......it was sidewall punctures!

This rang very true with me, as I used the free RAC cover with my Leaf just twice in the nearly four years I had it, and both times were for sidewall punctures. First time was an evil rock hidden in the long grass beside a very narrow lane leading to a holiday cottage in the Forest of Dean, second time a semi-hidden high kerbstone as I turned onto a country lane in the Peak District. Are sidewalls thinner than they used to be?

I pushed my range to the limit, I am getting used to how the new car performs.
Last night on my way home my battery range suddenly went to dots ... and I had 3% and the car went into a limited speed power mode.

I was 7 miles away from home and a charge point. I had made the same journey a week before and made it home with 6% remaining, I did not factor the cold weather and temperature drop.

I managed to get to a garage which was closed, time to test my new car insurance. I was in a bit of a panic and getting very cold, I had no insurance details with me and had to search for the number online with my phone.

The insurance company was very helpful and had someone out to me within 30 minutes, they called regularly to check on me until the recovery truck came.

Lesson learnt and very embarrassed.

I pushed the car too far. I did not plan for this to happen.

I will try and avoid making this mistake again.

I now have the road assistance details in the car and on my phone, I will plan my journey next time making sure I have enough range and where the chargers are on my journey.

Thanks to LV
I had a worse experience last week, with 18% battery and 34 miles range showing my MG5 went into limited speed mode on the M1, within 1/2 mile i had battery charge fail warning light then the drive batteries went offline and i coasted to a standstill, took the RAC 3 hours to recover me, the car had to be dragged onto the transporter as the handbrake wouldn't release, drove to a rapid charger to try and get some life into the car so it could be driven off the transporter but it failed to charge twice so has been returned to the dealer for repairs. As you say I'm never going to let it get so low on charge again when i get it back. 😢

Sounds like a dreadful experience, Scorpion. And so disappointing for it to happen with your new car.

You're now the second person in this thread not to have used the free AA breakdown provided by MG. Are dealers just not telling people about this? Or maybe you already have RAC membership with another car or your company does?

I had a worse experience last week, with 18% battery and 34 miles range showing my MG5 went into limited speed mode on the M1, within 1/2 mile i had battery charge fail warning light then the drive batteries went offline and i coasted to a standstill, took the RAC 3 hours to recover me, the car had to be dragged onto the transporter as the handbrake wouldn't release, drove to a rapid charger to try and get some life into the car so it could be driven off the transporter but it failed to charge twice so has been returned to the dealer for repairs. As you say I'm never going to let it get so low on charge again when i get it back. 😢
I shouldn't complain then, looks like I got off lightly. look forward to getting it back soon🤞🤞

I previously read or heard on the ZS there were a quite a few miles left even after the dashes come up and the GOM number disappears...

Sounds like a dreadful experience, Scorpion. And so disappointing for it to happen with your new car.

You're now the second person in this thread not to have used the free AA breakdown provided by MG. Are dealers just not telling people about this? Or maybe you already have RAC membership with another car or your company does?
My car is supplied through motability so i need to use there recovery operator which happens to be RAC

I shouldn't complain then, looks like I got off lightly. look forward to getting it back soon🤞🤞
I can't wait to get it back, feel foolish for getting in that position but I've heard people saying they've been down to 6 miles range left looking for a working charger so didn't expect this to happen, don't know what went wrong but i believe something did go wrong with 12V charging first and possibly for safety it took the HV battery off line

I wasn't told by the dealer, I think the COVID measures got in the way of the usual handover I would have got, I don't think it was on purpose but I will check the AA cover out. My new eV car insurance with LV has unlimited lifts/recovery for loss of power claims.

I previously read or heard on the ZS there were a quite a few miles left even after the dashes come up and the GOM number disappears...
Like i have just replied to Mark i think something failed somewhere because I still had 34 miles showing when the car came to rest.

I can't wait to get it back, feel foolish for getting in that position but I've heard people saying they've been down to 6 miles range left looking for a working charger so didn't expect this to happen, don't know what went wrong but i believe something did go wrong with 12V charging first and possibly for safety it took the HV battery off line
It's all part of the learning curve, your not on your own, nothing like waiting for recovery to mull over things.

It's all part of the learning curve, your not on your own, nothing like waiting for recovery to mull over things.
Yeah nothing like 3 hours wait in -4 temperatures and not being able to stay in the car because of the location to run over your regrets

Does the MG recovery service actually include running out of power? Not saying it doesn't, but I'd have to check.... I too am inusred with LV, purely becasue they specifically include recovery for EVs running out of power, but I;m nowehre near testing that out (lockdown and all that).

As far as I know the MG cover (which is full AA cover ) does include battery as it is the same in theory as running out of petrol/diesel

Does the MG recovery service actually include running out of power? Not saying it doesn't, but I'd have to check.... I too am inusred with LV, purely becasue they specifically include recovery for EVs running out of power, but I;m nowehre near testing that out (lockdown and all that).
My cover with RAC must cover running out of electrickery as at one point they were going to send a van with a recharge capability to give me an emergency charge. This would have been a waste of time as the car wouldn't recharge when it was connected to a charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom