Rolec charger problem

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Picked up my new #TeamRed ZS EV today and now home trying unsuccessfully to charge on a Rolec 7.2kw tethered home charger (4 year old model - see pic below). The unit was professionally installed and I’ve no power line or other adapters on my wiring.

Charger is ready (blue continuous light) however car says "connected but not charging" 😭. Car charges fine on the from granny charger as well as CCS so looks like it might be the Rolec charger (older model) at fault.

Before I call out an engineer, any words of wisdom from the group?

7F2FE8D2-4DCC-4959-B5FB-B10EB8C519CD.jpeg

I think I read something about needing an earth rod...or am I getting mixed up?

I too have an old version and mine works fine.....but I don't have any fancy delayed charging or interweb connections.

Attachments

• thumbnail_11c89149-3f1b-4967-a383-9460e285e40a.jpg
    thumbnail_11c89149-3f1b-4967-a383-9460e285e40a.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 182
I think I read something about needing an earth rod...or am I getting mixed up?

I too have an old version and mine works fine.....but I don't have any fancy delayed charging or interweb connections.
Thanks Doc, someone else mentioned earth however I am sure earth is good, I watched him install the earth rod when it went in

When was it last used, it may be worth cleaning the contacts if it's not been used for a while ?
contact cleaner.jpg

Have you tried disconncing and reconnecting the carger, ensuring it's powered up whilst doing this? Also, locking/unlocking the car somtimes kicks it into action.

So if anyone's still watching this thread - I've resolved the issue 👍👍👌👌😁😁

The cause of my problem was that the car locking pin wasn't fitting properly with my Rolec charger head. After a few measurements it looked like the head was 2mm longer than the charge point hole and so when seated the locking pin hole was also out.

Solution is a bit Heath Robinson but did the trick - I cut out the locking pin groove on the charger head. It's a bit rough but has done the job - the charger now works.

Anyone know if the spec of the specification for the head (IEC 62196 EV Charge Connector Assembly) has changed over the years?

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_131039977_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210424_131039977_HDR~2.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 138
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom