Rolec wiring

sideways

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
Where I work we have 2 Rolec posts with 2 charge ports each. They are about 18 months old, it looks like from the factory they were not checked properly and the wiring was not tight causing it fail and an electrician thinks it could have burst into flames. Rolec customer service DO NOT want to know! So anyone with a Rolec home charger please get the internal wiring checked ASAP

I have one of the earlier dumb units and the Rolec factory branded circuit breakers are definitely a weak point.
Rolec updated the originally supplied breaker when that failed prematurely, then the second so called "improved" quality unit, burnt out after only another 15 months of use.
It was replaced FOC under warranty at the time.
I am not the only person who has witnessed these breaker units burning out.
Therefore I decided to install a "Garo" branded breaker unit about 18 months ago and it's still going strong.
A relative has one of the more recent smart Rolec units and that has also required two repairs.

More the responsibility of the installing electrician, every install has to be signed off / certified and part of the process is checking every terminal is tightened properly.

Sounds like the units weren't installed properly. I've had my Rolec smart charger for 3years never had a problem.

A quick search in the forum on this subject will show other owners that have had issues with the quality of some of the Rolec breaker units installed in these wall boxes.
It is very likely that each unit has been installed by totally different EV installers or fully qualified sparks.
Therefore that is not the common issue here, it's the quality of the Rolec branded component.
The video linked below will clearly illustrate the problem first hand.
Jordan has installed a LOT of EV wall boxes, but you will hear him say he has decided to reframe from installing these units anymore, as the "call backs" for repairs are not worth the effort.

Had my rolec dumb charger for around 7 years.
Was professionally installed in my last house for about a week, and I refitted and installed myself as the install by a 'professional' was shocking.
Refitted the same unit when I moved house, and recently changed the contactor and breaker before I got my MG in feb.
Dont believe I want or need a smart charger yet, this still works and charges fine at 7kw.

Hi all.
Where I work we have 2 Rolec posts with 2 charge ports each. They are about 18 months old, it looks like from the factory they were not checked properly and the wiring was not tight causing it fail and an electrician thinks it could have burst into flames. Rolec customer service DO NOT want to know! So anyone with a Rolec home charger please get the internal wiring checked ASAP
We have a BP Pulse home charger. It dangerously overheated twice, the second time actually tripping the switch. We had the wiring checked and was all good but BP were able to remotely adjust the settings and it’s been fine ever since.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom