MG5 Roof rails decorative only

I'm not disagreeing with you. But the fact remains, it still does none of us any good. The way things are going, the most likely outcome is usable roof rails. In which case, why is this still news? All it's doing is pouring petrol on the fire.
The actual fact is: that MG have been exposed for supplying a potentially dangerous vehicle. And your attitude would change if it was your vehicle or another that caused a serious accident where one your loved ones were injured or killed because of a vehicle roof rail failure.
So, Les or anyone else that brought the issue to the public should be congratulate not rebuked.

Last edited:
Can they be swapped out?? I understand they're rated for 35kg now but when I fill the holiday top box it would be heavier. Is the issue the bolts that hold them on or the bars themselves?

Can they be swapped out?? I understand they're rated for 35kg now but when I fill the holiday top box it would be heavier. Is the issue the bolts that hold them on or the bars themselves?
There's no definite answer from MG yet unfortunately and the 35Kg loading announcement was withdrawn not long after it was released. Whether it's the bolts, rails or roof that's the issue seems to be anyone's guess at the moment. As I understand it, engineers are seeing what's possible (or not) and they'll come up with a rating after that.

There's no definite answer from MG yet unfortunately and the 35Kg loading announcement was withdrawn not long after it was released. Whether it's the bolts, rails or roof that's the issue seems to be anyone's guess at the moment. As I understand it, engineers are seeing what's possible (or not) and they'll come up with a rating after that.
I would be happy with the ability to remove them and only put something on when I need them. Less weight and drag.

I imagine it would be a lot of work re-doing them...removing headlining is a fiddly job...with lots of opertunites to make a mess. I don't really see how you can do that to a NEW car.

If they are removed that wold leave the fixing holes to be dealt with somehow.
From what is show on a YouTube video it looks like they are sectional for some reason. I would have thought it woud be easier to change them to a single piece bar like the ZS. But the actual mountings maybe another problem or the structure of the roof assembly. Let's hope they sort it out soon.

Don’t forget too - if you modify it and anything happens - you could place yourself in a difficult position.

I did once see one of these large roof boxes smashed open on the motorway....clothes and possessions all spread about.......

I strongly suspect that they will end up doing a recall and replacing them all with something stronger. I believe the mounts are fine and the problem is in the weakness of how they connect together: they feel flimsy in the centre unlike on other vehicles. They are probably designing and testing the replacements right now, hence their silence.

I strongly suspect that they will end up doing a recall and replacing them all with something stronger. I believe the mounts are fine and the problem is in the weakness of how they connect together: they feel flimsy in the centre unlike on other vehicles. They are probably designing and testing the replacements right now, hence their silence.
Fingers crossed ☝️ I agree that there must be action going on behind the scenes and can't imagine they want to let this go on without a solution

The actual fact is: that MG have been exposed for supplying a potentially dangerous vehicle. And your attitude would change if it was your vehicle or another that caused a serious accident where one your loved ones were injured or killed because of a vehicle roof rail failure.
So, Les or anyone else that brought the issue to the public should be congratulate not rebuked.
@Richie

Are you aware that I thanked Les, for being the voice of change, on page 8 of this very thread, which you can find here?

Please scroll down to the bottom of that post, where you'll see Mr Burrows liked it.

I still stand by that post.

The fact remains -- this is now old news.

In your post, you state as a fact that MG are being exposed for supplying a potentially dangerous vehicle. May I ask, what evidence have you for this? As I said in an earlier post, I don't disagree with you. It is within the realms of possibility, albeit unlikely, that potential danger exists. However, I just haven't seen anyone present evidence for this. To my knowledge, there have been no accident reports of loads coming off the roof. No-one has posted any engineering data, be it good or bad. And there's little other data to go on that is in the public domain.

What is clear is that MG have not prepared the correct documentation to show that the roof rails are load bearing.

It is also a fact that they've installed roof rails on a car that is rated for a maximum roof mass of 0kg. This is fine, if you have no intention of using the roof rails to carry a load, but it is not fine if you do intend to carry a load, or sell it to someone who intends to carry a load.

For this, MG are, quite rightly, being held to account. They will have to answer to this, in less than 28 days time.

Aside from making every effort to resolve this sooner, what more can they now do? And how will it benefit us to drag their name through the mud in the interim?

I would welcome an opposing view, but I would not want to see more bad press on this subject.

Last edited:
No, but I found out something amazing about “decorative roof rails” the other day that means there’s a part 2 of this coming shortly that might actually show MG aren’t quite as ridiculous as I thought they were :LOL:

No, but I found out something amazing about “decorative roof rails” the other day that means there’s a part 2 of this coming shortly that might actually show MG aren’t quite as ridiculous as I thought they were :LOL:
Oh you tease!
Oh, the antici................pation

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom