Roof rails load bearing or not

marsw2

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Ok what's all this about MG5 EV roof rails being for decoration only ???
If you sell an estate car with roof rails with the correct roof bar attachment profile the expectation is that they can carry a load !

Last edited by a moderator:
Long range was given a weight rating and works well.
Seem to remember short range originally being no rating then later getting a 30kg rating. Hopefully someone will confirm for you.

That was the advice when the car was first released but it was subsequently rescinded.
Do you have a Mk1 or 2?

Last edited:
Ok what's all this about MG5 EV roof rails being for decoration only ???
If you sell an estate car with roof rails with the correct roof bar attachment profile the expectation is that they can carry a load !
Hi, is this for the face-lift model?
The pre face-lift had a weight limit that was reduced and ended up at 35Kg.

That was the advice when the car was first released but it was subsequently rescinded.
Do you have a Mk1 or 2?
Hi 2022 model. If it has been rescinded then someone needs ro look into Google search answers.

Anyway who ever thought it was a good idea that roof rails on an estate car with the correct profile are for decoration only !!

Hi the MG5 exclusive was introduced to the UK market in the last quarter of 2020 and was fitted with roof rails, but in the handbook supplied with the vehicle in them days on page 62, it stated they where for decorative purposes only and must not be loaded.
I had just purchased my car in the October of 2020 and had a long battle with MG motors for several months over this issue on the grounds of safety and miss selling of the vehicle, because the official brochure at the launch showed cross rails a cycle carrier and cycle on top of the vehicle, they also in there official accessory listing had cross rail and cycle carrying equipment you could order via dealers.
So afterwards by March of 2021 they after exhaustive testing said the rails could now carry a load of 35 kg.
All of this applies to the mg5 exclusive model fitted with a 50 KW battery only.

Now a little later in 2021 they came along with the same car but now fitted with a 61KW battery and now the roof load on this car was rated as 75kg and remains that way for the newer facelifted vehicle on sale as new today from MG dealers.

So in summary the roof loads are,
Exclusive fitted with a 50 KW battery 35 kg.
On the longer range version of the same car with a 61kg battery 75kg.
And from late 2022 the newer face lifted Trophy and SE models are also 75kg
I hope this clears matters up.
Les

Last edited:
Great. Thanks for your detailed response must have been a bit of a faff. Could not find that out with online searches which came up with "decoration only". This forum works

As a matter of interest, do you have the owner's manual for your MG5?

Just looked at online manual and yes it does say roof rails good for 75kg. Should have looked there first.

Hi the MG5 exclusive was introduced to the UK market in the last quarter of 2020 and was fitted with roof rails, but in the handbook supplied with the vehicle in them days on page 62, it stated they where for decorative purposes only and must not be loaded.
I had just purchased my car in the October of 2020 and had a long battle with MG motors for several months over this issue on the grounds of safety and miss selling of the vehicle, because the official brochure at the launch showed cross rails a cycle carrier and cycle on top of the vehicle, they also in there official accessory listing had cross rail and cycle carrying equipment you could order via dealers.
So afterwards by March of 2021 they after exhaustive testing said the rails could now carry a load of 35 kg.
All of this applies to the mg5 exclusive model fitted with a 50 KW battery only.

Now a little later in 2021 they came along with the same car but now fitted with a 61KW battery and now the roof load on this car was rated as 75kg and remains that way for the newer facelifted vehicle on sale as new today from MG dealers.

Les
Les - Good info

I'm Currently 'asking MG UK' - WHY the Mg4 in the UK cannot use aftermarket Roof Racks like Thule Sell.. - I.E if you just went to Halfords and had not looked into Any info c/o MG - you can and could buy the Thule parts for your MG4 ...

After all, Any of our European owners have zero issues from their respective Country MG with unrestricted Roof Usage. I pointed out that a car that ships from China that is Right hand drive could end up in more than one country - And the Roof Structures are Not Changed at any stage.. So why in Ireland can they and yet we cant - Doesn't make any 'realistic' sense.

So why can a UK registered 4 Not use a Swedish companies Tried and tested Roof Rack foot attachment

I couldn’t agree more it makes no sense but I have read that some have done it and have obtained clearance from there insurance companies to do so but I would check with your own insurers as the car is not rated to carry a roof load in the UK as you have said.
Les

I couldn’t agree more it makes no sense but I have read that some have done it and have obtained clearance from there insurance companies to do so but I would check with your own insurers as the car is not rated to carry a roof load in the UK as you have said.
Les
I too have that from my insurance company - But ... I like a challenge and well my bikes go inside the car, and will continue to do so till I get a satisfactory answer; Just to be safe you never know if they will object to any warranty issues - However till I get the bottom of it I'll keep the emails & stay a roof less user lol

& yes I have the Thule Feet (in a box) - Had the bars from a previous car

Hi again all I can say is I wish you the very best of luck the case I had with them MG,was they had fitted the 5 with roof rails and then said they couldn’t be use and that for me was a big safety issue fitting something on a car that was never to be used crazy it was, there’s a full thread on here some where about what happened.
Good luck
Les

Les
Thanks for that info, I am disabled so my boot takes my electric chair. So could possibly get a small roof box

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom