First year of MG5 ownership

mailmannz

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive had the new MG5 since February 2023 and have to say that over all Im pretty happy with it.

So far we have put 15k miles on the clock which has used 4478kwh at a total cost of £403. We have done some public charging at a couple fast chargers but not enough to make any real difference to the over all cost of charging for our first year.

So the positive things that I like;
1. Its a practical estate size vehicle. Big enough for the family, 2 dogs and bikes and bags and what not :)
2. Not bad distance. Probably easily get 180-200 miles without too much fuss and for the predominately local driving we do this is more than enough. So far through most of winter Ive been averaging 3 miles to the kilowatt hour. Last summer this was closer to 3.5 and one trip to the top of North Norfolk I was getting an astonishing 5 miles to the kilowatt hour (have never achieved anything like that since!). When things were getting cold in October/November last year this dropped down to 2 to 2.5 miles but over all, not bad averages with this car.
3. Nice smooth ride.
4. Instant power, true of all EV's, but still...its great to have that power available straight away when needed!
5. Also really cannot fault the build quality. Even though, at the time, it was one of the cheapest new EV's it was still a nice car.

The things I find a pain in the backside;
1. Range. Just ignore everything MG says about range. This cars natural habitat is not the motorway and as long as you factor that in to your driving then you will be fine. Probs get max 200 at the very most out of this car. Maybe 210 miles down hill, down wind, with a good tail wind ;) You are just best to ignore the range indicator on the dash as that is WILDLY optimistic!
2. You can only have one sound at a time! Ok, a little bit of a nit pick but it can be disconcerting when indicating to turn but there is no indicator noise because another alarm noise is already going :)
3. You dont get Satnav on the main dash. The main dash is what you see and nothing more.
4. Seats in the back dont fold down flat. Bit of a meh, but does make the space in the boot just a little less user friendly.
5. Seat belt warnings will randomly go off every now and then?!?
6. There can be a lot of wind noise at higher speeds! Really noticed this after dropping a curtesy car (Volvo XC40) back when ours was having a service. Then again, that vehicle is 10k more expensive for a bare bones model).

Once I got over range anxiety and being a AC Nazi and just enjoyed the car its been great :) Really not a lot to complain about. Even the couple times we used fast chargers (which managing roughly 55kw at a 150kw fast charger) it meant we had time to stretch the legs and get the dogs out for a bit of a walk...which we would have done anyway when filling up our old Peugeot 3008 in the past.

So all in all a pretty positive experience for us :)

How much was first service, anything needed replacing after first 15,000? Software updated to whatever is the latest version as part of service?
Considering one of these if the price is right but know nothing about EVs ...

We had the first service done yesterday, under their pre-purchased service plan. All went fine.

I agree with @mailmannz about wind noise at speed - it's quite a bit higher than our Mondeo. I have a slight issue with squeaking door mirror(s) when they're closing, but the service dept is going to talk to MG about this.

Overall, we're really happy with the car.

How much was first service, anything needed replacing after first 15,000? Software updated to whatever is the latest version as part of service?
Considering one of these if the price is right but know nothing about EVs ...
The service was covered under the leasing agreement I have. However our neighbour had their Tesla done last month and it cost them £50.

We had the first service done yesterday, under their pre-purchased service plan. All went fine.

I agree with @mailmannz about wind noise at speed - it's quite a bit higher than our Mondeo. I have a slight issue with squeaking door mirror(s) when they're closing, but the service dept is going to talk to MG about this.

Just give the mirrors a squirt of silicone spray ( I used WD40) and the squeak goes away.

Just give the mirrors a squirt of silicone spray ( I used WD40) and the squeak goes away.
Well, I would have used a graphite spray rather than WD40, but I thought that I'd better ask them in case it damaged enything. However, the service dept reckon that it's the motor rather than the plastic. To be honest, I think that they're wrong.

Well, I would have used a graphite spray rather than WD40, but I thought that I'd better ask them in case it damaged enything. However, the service dept reckon that it's the motor rather than the plastic. To be honest, I think that they're wrong.
It's a common issue, easily fixed normally. Not heard of a motor problem before but always a first. :)

4. Seats in the back dont fold down flat. Bit of a meh, but does make the space in the boot just a little less user friendly.
It’s simple enough to take out the bench if you want the seats to fold flat..

I also get the squeaky folding mirrors, a little drop of silicone spray cured it, for now anyway.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom