Rookie first charge error -help please

Dekkerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Finally took delivery of my MG5 Excite SR yesterday afternoon. Very happy so far but couldn't locate granny charger. Pursuing that tomorrow. Awaiting home charger. After going on a few journeys decided to use the dealer's own 22kw Rolec for a free boost ready for the working week. Set up was easier than expected with type 2 cable that I had as part of the deal. The problem was when ready to leave. Couldn't unplug the charger. Remembered a post here about locking and then unlocking the car. That worked. As it was snowing Iwas keen to dry off both ends of the cable before the short drive home in the snow. Only when I got home did I realise I hadn't closed off the charger socket of the car. There was snow in there. I dried it all off put the rubber cap on and closed the badge cover. Have I caused damage do you think? Can't believe I did it!!

If it's salt free electrics are generally ok.
I should think your not the first or last to do it.
It's far worse when a diesel flap is left open.

To be on the safe side, you could give the socket a squirt of WD40 to help drive any moisture out.
On the plus side, you won't ever do that again.

Thanks Mg5van. Maybe I'll just leave it and try and charge when I can to make sure all works OK.

I do it all the time, I've driven miles with the front flap open and the bungs flapping (ooer missus).

Also if charging in the rain the bungs and the socket are going to get wet, if it was an issue we'd have tales of drivers with curly hair and smoke coming out of their ears all over the press :)

I've driven away twice with the front flap open but luckily it was pointed out to me before I got too far. You'd think there's be an alarm/warning light of some sort in the cabin?

I got my mg5 lr last week after over 3 years using a bmw phev. Used to charging very often but my first mg5 charge I left the rubber cap from charger port dangling as I went to and from work until my wife told me When I got home. I had closed the main cover but it would be easy done to Leave it open. It doesn’t help there is no illumination around the charger port though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom