Running with the under bonnet cover removed

LordSiborg

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
During my trip back from Edinburgh Thursday I had my first major issue with the 5. Pulled over to charge at a CPS charger and the first one failed, leaving me with a system error on the car. No hope of getting hold of MG Assist, I decided to unplug and leave the car for 10 minutes to see if that worked.
I couldn't get the plug out, no matter how many times I locked and unlocked.
No problem I thought, I remember a thread somewhere about the manual release, and low and behold there it is in the manual.
Remove the cover, pull the release, one electric juzzh later and out it pops.
Fine. The car had by then decided it didn't have an error so I moved it to the next charger along and sat for 45 minutes to get above 60%. I couldn't be bothered to put the cover back on and threw it in the boot. Good thing as I couldn't unplug the connector again, and had to use the release cable.
This went on pretty much all day, Tesla public charger, couldn't recognise the car, three units the same thing, three units couldn't get the connector out. Osprey charger, wouldn't accept contactless, couldn't remove the charge cable. Ionity worked fine, charge cable came out fine.
Gridserve wetherby, first charger went out of order as soon as I plugged in. Second charger the contactless didn't work. Each time, couldn't remove the cable. Third charger worked, charged at 45kW/h which was good seeing as by now it was -3. Stopped the charge at 85% cable came out fine.
So, to get to the chase. I now have little confidence the car won't do this again, so has anyone run for an extended period without the decorative cover on? I know people chuck boxes in there and use it as a frunk, I'm very tempted just to lob the cover in the garage (alongside the pointless filler from under the boot floor) and just put it back on before the car goes back.
Any thoughts?
Simon

I've done what many recommended here, attached a long piece of string to the release and fed it through the hole so it rests on top of the cover. Had to use it a few times too, and it worked!
Oh now there's a good idea! I remember years ago using the same trick to change the headlamp alignment on my 98 Puma when going abroad. I suspect the bits of string are still there 😁 Thanks.

It is now. It's an increasingly rare 1.4 16V and there's only 141 of them left on UK roads now according to DVLA. For context, there are 271 Triumph Spitfire Mk IVs (1972 to 77ish) which is what used to live in the garage till I had kids!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom