Russian Roulette

Jonhklee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
C3E26951-07D7-407E-9AE7-7D7FD7B74C37.png

Tested out the accuracy of the GOM today from Edinburgh to Aberdeen with only 80% charge to start showing 161 miles with a journey length of 132miles…. Arrived with GOM refusing to give reading less than 4 miles left. Air-con on for 80% of the journey, roof box on roof with 4 people & 2 dogs! Let’s just say I will not be doing that again. Good job the last 4 miles were mostly downhill! Average efficiency 3.4m/kWh doing 60-67mph using cruise control.

Still quite good consumption at 3.4mpk. I bet the starting gom wasn’t based on a car with 4 people, 2 dogs and a roof box!

All I can say about this is, I will never us a roof box again! as it decimated the range when I borrowed one for a trip from the midlands to Pembrokeshire.
I sure we saw 2.6 m/kWh after the trip.

Is that just a poor translation on the display?

A fine day out.

Our Rolec, now acting sublime

Set the voltage to four forty nine

This had the poor GOM in a stew

With a promise of one ninety two

Sixty eight miles Waze foretold

To Where soup in a Welly is sold

We used the M9 then the A84

So that journey was door to door

Green Welly store up in Tyndrum

Where soup is totally yum

But their finest creation I think

Is creamy fish soup Cullen Skink

But back to the theme of my tale

Was GOM a pass? or a fail ?

Well he said we’d a 34 surplus

Which, considering the ups and downs and twisty nature of that scenic route pleased us. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I went under 10% for the first time the other night and got a snitty "aggressive driving is not recommended with low battery condition" warning when I overtook someone.:D
4% would give me palpitations though!

I went under 10% for the first time the other night and got a snitty "aggressive driving is not recommended with low battery condition" warning when I overtook someone.:D
4% would give me palpitations though!
It's simple physics: aggressive driving with hard acceleration will pull the pack voltage down suddenly (look at the power flow screen when doing so from a higher state of charge). When the voltage is already close to the lower limit, pulling it down too far will try to draw power from the battery that isn't available with unpredictable results.

I recall one MG5 owner trying to accelerate up a hill on the motorway in the cold with a low battery and the car cut out completely. I suspect the MG software is partly to blame but I'd advise driving extremely gently at low states of charge.

I got down to 4% during my recent 1800 mile round trip from Dorset to the Highlands and back.

Had charged to just over 80% at the Ionity station in Gretna Green and was aiming for the BP Pulse chargers on the outskirts / North of Perth.

First time I've switched down to Eco mode and turned everything off!

Return trip used the same charge points but I drove at 70mph rather than 75 and had about 15% left.

Btw the ChargePlace Scotland chargers suck; couldn't rely on the app and/or the stations as they were so unreliable.

Hardly any issues when in England other than a whole bank of the new Ecotricty chargers dead just North of Leeds on the M1 and the car bricking a lone BP Pulse charger in Leicester.

Day 2 of getting the car in January got down to 4% as I pulled into the services on the M3, freezing fog, dark etc knew hardly anything about running the car, I didn’t even want to Use the indicator when pulling into the services, air con off, radio off, phone charger lead out of socket 🙈😂 never again!

I got down to 4% during my recent 1800 mile round trip from Dorset to the Highlands and back.

Had charged to just over 80% at the Ionity station in Gretna Green and was aiming for the BP Pulse chargers on the outskirts / North of Perth.

First time I've switched down to Eco mode and turned everything off!

Return trip used the same charge points but I drove at 70mph rather than 75 and had about 15% left.

Btw the ChargePlace Scotland chargers suck; couldn't rely on the app and/or the stations as they were so unreliable.

Hardly any issues when in England other than a whole bank of the new Ecotricty chargers dead just North of Leeds on the M1 and the car bricking a lone BP Pulse charger in Leicester.
Respect!! Got to be a silver medal if not a gold.
1 for attempting an 1800 mile round trip
2 for letting the battery drop to 4
I would have to take seat covers to even consider a trip like that :)

View attachment 4283
Tested out the accuracy of the GOM today from Edinburgh to Aberdeen with only 80% charge to start showing 161 miles with a journey length of 132miles…. Arrived with GOM refusing to give reading less than 4 miles left. Air-con on for 80% of the journey, roof box on roof with 4 people & 2 dogs! Let’s just say I will not be doing that again. Good job the last 4 miles were mostly downhill! Average efficiency 3.4m/kWh doing 60-67mph using cruise control.
Can I ask what system of roof racks you use? I want to look into buying them for my excite.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom