Rust bubble?

Raasay

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I’ve had my Xpower just over a week and absolutely love it, okay there are a couple of little irritations like lane keeping assist and why my reversing camera sometimes has coloured boxes but more often not.
Main issue though is what looks like rust bubbles on a 6 month old car! Didn’t notice them the day I collected the car, pouring rain, but in the dry the day after they were really obvious. Dealer is saying they need to contact MG under the paint warranty. I think they should just be fixing it since I’ve had it a week. Posted a picture, any thoughts.
IMG_6103.jpeg

Just noticed the picture includes some water droplets near the top, paint damage at the bottom of image.

Not likely.
The bumper is made of thermoplastic olefin.

Over Zealous application of touch up paint as suggested up above.

If it is that, (looks like it IMO) then MG won't be helping you either.

I felt a bit sad for you til I saw where you lived.
You will forever be looking at it now.

Some truly excellent rides I've had in that part of the world.

(Motorbike)

Last edited:
It's a prime location for paint chips but as mentioned above, there won't be any rust.

Thanks for the replies, so thats good if it’s just a poorly repaired stone chip as it shouldn’t get any bigger, I still think the dealer should be making good the dodgy repair.

Thanks for the replies, so thats good if it’s just a poorly repaired stone chip as it shouldn’t get any bigger, I still think the dealer should be making good the dodgy repair.

You can but try, especially if it's confirmed it was their cack handedness doing the repair.

Even if its not rust, if there is any moisture that has gotten in it can spread under the paint when it freezes. I had a small 0.5mm paint chip in the roof panel. As it was hammering down constantly I wasn't able to put a touch up pen on it (it'd just wash away). Unfortunately for me it froze over night and left a thumb sized bubble in the clear coat :(

Even if its not rust, if there is any moisture that has gotten in it can spread under the paint when it freezes. I had a small 0.5mm paint chip in the roof panel. As it was hammering down constantly I wasn't able to put a touch up pen on it (it'd just wash away). Unfortunately for me it froze over night and left a thumb sized bubble in the clear coat :(
Well we have had plenty rain and frost over the last few months so that’s a strong possibility. I have been asked to send photos to the service manager at the Arnold Clark where I bought the car so will see what happens next.

Well we have had plenty rain and frost over the last few months so that’s a strong possibility. I have been asked to send photos to the service manager at the Arnold Clark where I bought the car so will see what happens next.
Good luck with that.
I’m intrigued with the handle “Raasay” do you belong there ? It’s a beautiful island.

Have been there, my brother stays in Mallaig, and we named our dog after it! It is a beautiful place.
Excellent- years ago I camped on the old fishermen’s drying green down by the sea below the ruins of Brochel castle. I was there before Callum built his magnificent road where I saw a Chough ( like a Blackbird but with orange beak and legs ) indeed a true gem of an island.

Even if it’s not rust, if there is any moisture that has gotten in it can spread under the paint when it freezes. I had a small 0.5mm paint chip in the roof panel. As it was hammering down constantly I wasn't able to put a touch up pen on it (it'd just wash away). Unfortunately for me it froze over night and left a thumb sized bubble in the clear coat :(
Unfortunately you were right, it is spreading!
IMG_6157.jpeg

Looks like it was resprayed over a stone chip without much preparation. Did you buy the car used? Dealers very often respray the front bumpers/fenders on used cars, even when they're only few months old if there are any stone chips.

Sorry to see that ....it does'nt look good if it's spreading 😒. I'd avoid any pressure washers just in case of further damage. I hope your dealer plays ball with this defect and sorts something out to your satisfaction.

Sorry to see that ....it does'nt look good if it's spreading 😒. I'd avoid any pressure washers just in case of further damage. I hope your dealer plays ball with this defect and sorts something out to your satisfaction.
Well they’re not being very helpful so far but I’m not letting it go. A six month old car shouldn’t look like this.

Quick update. Bubble has now burst! 🙁 Arnold Clark eventually looked at it yesterday, just waiting to hear what they are going to do about it.
IMG_6181.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom