WonkoTheSaneUK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Sainsbury's have entered the charging market with their "Smart Charge" network at their stores.

However, the new store they're building at Southport's Meol Cop Retail Park has recently had the planning documents amended.

Out with the petrol station with a token 4 rapid chargers to one side, in with 14 rapid chargers and no petrol station at all!

Sainsbury's have entered the charging market with their "Smart Charge" network at their stores.

However, the new store they're building at Southport's Meol Cop Retail Park has recently had the planning documents amended.

Out with the petrol station with a token 4 rapid chargers to one side, in with 14 rapid chargers and no petrol station at all!
Nice to see a company that looks to the future. :)

Then they need to look again 🤣.
If Tesla continues to keep installing super chargers at their current rate and are opening up more to non Tesla driver and continue to hold down the prices, the other units are going to stand idle.
They will be forced to lower the prices, they have no other choice really !.
Who the hell is going to pay 75p / kw ???.

I hear ASDA has done a deal with Tesla to roll out 20,000 "open" ultra-fast EV charging points across the UK and Europe ... the more the merrier if it means competition and price drops ... :)

I hear ASDA has done a deal with Tesla to roll out 20,000 "open" ultra-fast EV charging points across the UK and Europe ... the more the merrier if it means competition and price drops ... :)
That's odd, because Asda merged with EuroGarages, and has access to their own "EV Point" network. :unsure:

That's odd, because Asda merged with EuroGarages, and has access to their own "EV Point" network. :unsure:
Sorry, I might have got the wrong end of the stick Wonko ... 😗

"EG Group – owned by the billionaire owners of ASDA, Mohsin and Zuber Issa – has signed a multimillion-pound deal with Tesla to roll out ultra-fast EV charging points across the UK and Europe."

Last edited:
Sorry, I might have got the wrong end of the stick Wonko ... 😗

"EG Group – owned by the billionaire owners of Asda, Mohsin and Zuber Issa – has signed a multimillion-pound deal with Tesla to roll out ultra-fast EV charging points across the UK and Europe."

Ah, I remember now - EG were indeed going to buy superchargers from Tesla.
So these will be EV Point-branded superchargers. (BP have done the same in the USA)

The "Dave Takes It On" Youtube channel had a video about Sainsburys new charging network pointing out the fact they do not have to pay rent for the land as they own it so should be able to start a pricing war with competitors, they also have over 1,000 sites in the UK
A pricing war where they intend to charge 75p/kWh. Also an authorisation holding charge of a whopping £75...yes 75 quid.

A pricing war where they intend to charge 75p/kWh. Also an authorisation holding charge of a whopping £75...yes 75 quid.

75p is the going rate unfortunately but hopefully someone starts a price war soon. I couldn’t see anything about Nectar points.

£75 is a bit much but Tesco hold is £120 for ICE.

The Sainsburys near me have just installed these rapid chargers. Yes, they are 75p per kW, but that is the lowest price out of all the 150kW rapid chargers near me. There is no pre-payment charge of £75. Card payment only, swipe to start charging, swipe to finish. Debits what you use only.

The Sainsburys near me have just installed these rapid chargers. Yes, they are 75p per kW, but that is the lowest price out of all the 150kW rapid chargers near me. There is no pre-payment charge of £75. Card payment only, swipe to start charging, swipe to finish. Debits what you use only.
In Australia at Woolworths supermarket I payed AU60c a kWh at an NRMA charge fox outlet Shellcove NSW. FyI

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom