The Sainsburys near me have just installed these rapid chargers. Yes, they are 75p per kW, but that is the lowest price out of all the 150kW rapid chargers near me. There is no pre-payment charge of £75. Card payment only, swipe to start charging, swipe to finish. Debits what you use only.
It will have been there, look at your bank balance while you are charging. Most usually remove the hold and substitute the real amount straight away after the charge is completed. BUT if the charge fails it could take a while for the hold to be removed.
This is from the Sainsbury's website
1705482555664.png

If you are wondering how to look for the Sainsbury’s chargers specifically, this might help:

Their chargers network is called Smart Charge
The website is Smart Charge - Ultra-Rapid Electric Vehicle Charging Powered by Sainsbury's where you can locate the chargers

They are currently on ZapMap but can’t be filtered out without some effort

The Electroverse app isn’t yet displaying them either.

On PlugShare you can look for them using the Search function and typing ‘Sainsbury’s’ At which point the list of all Sainsbury’s charging locations is shown with an icon next to it indicating if it’s a fast or ultra rapid charger.

Last edited:
There was a very specific reason for Woolworth's closing in the UK, but it's so long ago I can't remember what it was! It was back in the 1990s I think.

There was a very specific reason for Woolworth's closing in the UK, but it's so long ago I can't remember what it was! It was back in the 1990s I think.

Usual story ... cashflow and banks losing faith ...

"Customers were still shopping at the UK stores, and in the firm's final annual report the company made a slight pre-tax profit in 2007. But even with some signs of recovery ahead of 2008, Woolworths had a terminal problem: modest cash flow and a £385m mountain of debt.
As banks began to lose faith in Woolworths's finances, the firm had its credit insurance withdrawn"

Hi all I believe the Woollies in Australia is a different company from the uk version, maybe wrong but that’s what I was told two big supermarkets in ozz Woolworths and Cole’s with Aldi as a 3rd ish company.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 27
Sainsbury’s expansion into EV charging is very good news as we all need more locations and competition will bring prices down.
This move is odd though as they have announced they are closing their banking operation and re-stated their Food First policy of concentrating on their core grocery business. Clearly they think they can make more money out of EVs than selling travel insurance.
Being selfish, I hope the new chargers don’t come to my area - I can still get a free Podpoint 7kwh charge at my local Sainsbury (free for 2 hours when you spend £10 in store)

As is now standard practice in this country, the system of placing a hold on your account is based on the assumption that the customer should underwrite all the risk of things going wrong rather than the supplier. I'd happily use a charger where the supplier has to put a £75 hold into my account (that can only be accessed by me once the transaction is complete) and is returned to them together with the cost of the volts only after I've had the electricity and their machine has actually done what they said it would.

A pricing war where they intend to charge 75p/kWh. Also an authorisation holding charge of a whopping £75...yes 75 quid.

That's 100kw, how many cars would ever have spare capacity to "top up" by 100kw on a rapid?

Note website says £60 now but still 80kw!

Tbh, I only see use of rapid chargers if you are on a long trip and need a fair amount of charge to continue your journey.
If I’m travelling locally I wouldn’t need to top up at a rapid charger and definitely not at 75p a kWh.
Bit it has its perks if you are doing lots of short journeys and need to top up quickly, at which point it’s unlike you’d be topping up 50kwh in one go. I think as the proportion of electric cars on the road starts to approach 50%, the usage patterns will become clearer, and many of those patterns will both depend upon and influence the price per kWh.
The faster the charger the better anyway: at least they didn’t install two ultra fast and 10 slow chargers. If they had all been 50kW chargers it would have been ok but all 150kw is even better.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom