Sainsburys rapid charger rollout - they are not hanging about!

dsimpkins

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
As we all know, Sainburys are rolling out Kempower rapid chargers to most of their supermarkets. They are certainly not hanging about getting it done in Bristol. It wasn't long ago they installed 8 of them at Sainburys Emersons Green, Bristol.

Today I popped into Sainsburys Stoke Gifford, Bristol and found these. Another 8 150kW chargers all up and running (there's someone using one in the photo) For those that don't know the area, these are in North Bristol (technically South Gloucestershire) and are close to M32/M4, and just off the A4174 ring road. Also easy to get to from M5 via A38. Although the rapids at Tesco in Bradley Stoke are closer.
SainburysStokeGiffordSML.jpg

At 75p/kWh they are a bit pricey, considering Tesla with a £10.99 subscription and similar speeds are 38p/kWh.

That would take around 30kWh of charge to pay for the Tesla subscription and after that you save 37p/kWh using the Tesla chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me those chargers waste an awful lot of real estate! Parking spaces are often at a premium, that will wind people up who are driving round looking for a space (ICE or EV). Why don't they put the chargers at the back and save four super wide bays? Or make the spaces the chargers occupy much narrower than the car bays?

Personally, I like the extra space and it is of course partly there for those with disabilities.

The price of en-route charging is pretty irrelevant to me given that I charge at home for 95% of my journeys. If you don't and can't then yes, these can be expensive, but averaged out for the occasional long trip, there's really little difference and the convenience and speed of the experience sways it for me.

At 75p/kWh they are a bit pricey, considering Tesla with a £10.99 subscription and similar speeds are 38p/kWh.

That would take around 30kW of charge to pay for the Tesla subscription and after that you save 37p/kW using the Tesla chargers
In terms of rapid chargers around Bristol, they are among the cheapest. Most are 79-85p/kWh round here. There is one that's 95p/kWh. Also nearest Tesla chargers open to all EVs are in Newport.

Are these anywhere near the airport? Got a trip planned later in the year and will need somewhere for a quick top up. I will be coming down the M5

Are these anywhere near the airport? Got a trip planned later in the year and will need somewhere for a quick top up. I will be coming down the M5
Airport is South of Bristol. These are North of Bristol. Closest rapids to M5 are the ones at Tesco's Bradley Stoke. Again in the North of Bristol, but only about a mile from the M5 J16, so only a slight detour. Closer still there are two Instavolt (120kW) at McDonalds, or 100kW Gridserve at Mollie's Motel and Diner. Also a bit further on from J17 is MFG Filton with 16 150kW chargers. All on Zapmap

In terms of rapid chargers around Bristol, they are among the cheapest. Most are 79-85p/kW round here. There is one that's 95p/kW. Also nearest Tesla chargers open to all EVs are in Newport.
Don't know if Tesla have opened more up in that area recently but the app is listing
Bristol Eastgate BS5 6XX
Newport NP18 1HQ
Cardiff CF23 8HE

All at 38 or 39p/kWh.

Airport is South of Bristol. These are North of Bristol. Closest rapids to M5 are the ones at Tesco's Bradley Stoke. Again in the North of Bristol, but only about a mile from the M5 J16, so only a slight detour. Closer still there are two Instavolt (120kW) at McDonalds, or 100kW Gridserve at Mollie's Motel and Diner. Also a bit further on from J17 is MFG Filton with 16 150kW chargers. All on Zapmap
Tesla have Taunton services on their list for a supercharger site later this year.

Is that the non-member or member price? (It looks more like a member price).
Yes that is member price but you can recoup the £10.99 membership fee after 30kWh at the Sainsbury price. Guess it depends how often you need to use public charging in any month to make it cost effective.

I usually have at least one 600 mile trip a month which takes 4 public charger top ups, so it makes sense for me.

I tried a couple of Tesla sites last month on a 600+ mile round trip, Lifton and Merry Hill just because. Both came in at 44p/kwh, non-member before 4pm. If you're not a member and able to charge outside peak time, still a total bargain vs everyone else.
Also very simple, effective and efficient 👍

Going back to original thread, also tried Sainsbury's Wolverhampton on round trip. All good but, as pointed out in thread, somewhat more expensive than Tesla. Also, out in the rain so as to not upset ICE drivers 🤷

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom