Sat Nav advice

SDP79

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I love Sat Nav on cars and use it all the time. The system on my MG5LR is not the best - lots of information but I find fiddly to use, but I will persevere. But can anyone tell me how I zoom out so I can see the next junction? I know I can move my fingers across the screen but this then moves to another display and a curser asking me for another destination. I just want to be a able to zoom out and in. Checked the user manual and no great help that I can find. For example on my BMW you turn the navi knob to zoom in and out - so simple. Any help would be great.

I connect my phone and use Android auto. From what I can tell, the sat nav on that or the Apple one is better.. real time traffic updates etc..

I would say the Siri function makes the iPhone app much easier to use than the car Sat Nav. I have also found mine gives a better selection of routes. However, once you have loaded the car sat nav I do find the instruction and visuals to be easier to follow than the Apple maps. So I use both in different circumstances. Short journeys I use Apple, longer ones with stops, I use car sat nav. A voice instruction function on the sat nav in the car would be a huge step forward. One other benefit of using the car sat nav is it makes me laugh at the mis pronunciations of name places, sometimes it’s better than a good comedy act.

I almost have the impression that the sat nav importance has been pushed down the list because it has mobile phone connectivity. The system is slow to the level of unusable.

I almost have the impression that the sat nav importance has been pushed down the list because it has mobile phone connectivity. The system is slow to the level of unusable.

Always found incar sat nav to be like that, car companies could have made a deal with Tomtom or Garmin for their tech but they hate to lose control of even small profit. Now as you say they are being superseded by phone based apps.

I haven't found too many problems with in car sat nav of various brands, I have had LR, VAG, Ford, Nissan all useable to the extent that I didn't need an external one.

This however it makes me think it wasn't written for this platform. The absolute slowness has echo's of be from something else perhaps even Android itself and is either poorly ported or running over an interpreter. The two stage start up looks almost like the shell it runs in being loaded and only then the Sat Nav application loading

That at least gives scope for improvement but only IF SAIC think it is important enough. Unfortunately the presence of mobile connectivity relieves any pressure.

I would say the Siri function makes the iPhone app much easier to use than the car Sat Nav. I have also found mine gives a better selection of routes. However, once you have loaded the car sat nav I do find the instruction and visuals to be easier to follow than the Apple maps. So I use both in different circumstances. Short journeys I use Apple, longer ones with stops, I use car sat nav. A voice instruction function on the sat nav in the car would be a huge step forward. One other benefit of using the car sat nav is it makes me laugh at the mis pronunciations of name places, sometimes it’s better than a good comedy act.
Hi Sido, the in car sat nav does have turn by turn voice instructions, if you go to settings and then sounds you will see I think bottom right the voice tab my be turned off turn it on and then adjust volume and choose which voice I think you can as well
Les

I connect my phone and use Android auto. From what I can tell, the sat nav on that or the Apple one is better.. real time traffic updates etc..
This is all very well, but doesn't answer the question, and is not helpful to those of us who don't have Android/Smartphone/Apple....

(Rant over)
Happy New Year to one and all.

Last edited:
Hi Sido, the in car sat nav does have turn by turn voice instructions, if you go to settings and then sounds you will see I think bottom right the voice tab my be turned off turn it on and then adjust volume and choose which voice I think you can as well
Les
Perhaps I should have been more accurate in my description, I meant driver voice control rather than just touch screen. The sat nav voice is fine.

On the MG5 SR it's just two fingers on the screen, pinch to zoom in and errr... unpinch, to zoom out.
Thank you. I do understand this but once you do this the screen changes to another and you need to go back to the original screen so that the curser stays on the screen and follows the direction of travel. This is very wordy I know but if you do zoom out in this way eventually the curser disappears off the top of the screen as you cover ground. Well at least it does in my system? Am I doing something wrong?

I have the same question as the original author. I use the MG (not car play or android) navigation when I don’t want to connect my phone.

I agree it is not as polished as the OS X/android alternatives but sometimes it is easier to quickly find directions, especially if you have the address saved.

When driving, how do I zoom out and keep the map position following along with where I am?

I have the 2021 MG5 SR. On my sat nav when you zoom in an arrow appears bottom left of the screen, touch it and it takes back to normal size with next turn visible and car location arrow in actual position.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom