Sat Nav not picking up speed cameras

bigdave

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi ALL, just taken delivery last week of a brand new MG HS PHEV Excusive, here in the UK.
The sat nav seems unable to detect speed cameras, I have had the latest updated routes downloaded by the dealer and all the cameras in the menu are set to audio and visual.
I have raised this matter with the dealer who has notified MG UK, at this time they are unable to resolve this matter.
Just wondered if any body else is experiencing this.

Thanks. bigdave.

Hi
is the circle at top left side on instrument display showing you the speed from the front camera.

The in built satnav has speed SIGN recognition but it does not have speed CAMERA recognition.

Almost all in built satnavs from car manufacturers do not have speed camera recognition. I believe it's to do with them being illegal in some countries. The easy way out is to not provide them at all to avoid legal issues. Strictly speaking, if you had speed camera recognition on your satnav and drove to France, you would be illegal.

Waze rules for me as well. As it's live you get police and accident notifications that an inbuilt sat nav would never see and it's free and always up to date.

I see the car one as a choice of last resort if you phone packs up etc

Thank you all for your input. I will download a third party app on my phone and use this.
I like Waze and use it a lot, but just be aware that if you lose phone signal you can also lose your navigation (depending on how remote you are). Driving the NC500 the other month in a Mitsubishi Outlander (which didn't have inbuilt Sat Nav) there were a number of occasions when we lost Waze navigation.

Go to " Naviextras", download the installer, register, get the latest, speed cameras, $1.50, =£1.29, follow instruction, the built in satnav is as good as others, carpal eye., can disconnect when it suits., give it a go, works fine for me.

I sometime use Apple maps on my iPhone and it seems to know where all the cameras are, though one or two times it has warned me as I have driven past. Good job I wasn't speeding.

I downloaded it because I found it was cheap, but actually, I am retired, done all the boy racer stuff, no need to rush anymore, I do not speed anyway, for years I am an avid user of ACC, even in 30mph limits, it stops me speeding accidentally , it should not matter, if your legal, then no problem for you

The in built satnav has speed SIGN recognition but it does not have speed CAMERA recognition.

Almost all in built satnavs from car manufacturers do not have speed camera recognition. I believe it's to do with them being illegal in some countries. The easy way out is to not provide them at all to avoid legal issues. Strictly speaking, if you had speed camera recognition on your satnav and drove to France, you would be illegal.
My MG5 does it, bongs away when I approach them.

Waze rules for me as well. As it's live you get police and accident notifications that an inbuilt sat nav would never see and it's free and always up to date.

I see the car one as a choice of last resort if you phone packs up etc
I used Waze and quite liked it, but there was no way to stop it showing close distances in feet! If that's been fixed I may go back to it, but I prefer to use inbuilt satnav.

That's very interesting hewguy. I've had a Naviextras account for over a year and have never been offered the speed camera database before, just map updates for over £100. I had therefore assumed the inbuilt satnav was incapable of speed camera recognition. I've never updated the maps on my HS due to the cost and the widespread issues others have had trying to update.

I've just logged into Naviextras for the first time in 6 months or more and, as you say, there is now a one time download of the speed camera database available. I'm now wondering if it will work with my slightly out of date maps or if it is somehow tied into the latest maps. Naviextras don't say, but there have been lots of problems updating the satnav reported by others, so it's a bit risky.

From new just over a year ago, my HS did not have the speed camera database installed at purchase. There have been other discussions about this on these forums where people have said they have speed camera recognition turned on, but it doesn't work, so I guess they were the same. This is the first time I've ever seen a speed camera database actually available.

My MG5 does it, bongs away when I approach them.
New ZS EV face lift has speed camera alerts in the built in Sat Nav unit ?.
As I discovered while using it yesterday.
If I have any use using the in built unit, I will switch to using Waze on my IPhone.
Nice to have a back up plan !.

That's very interesting hewguy. I've had a Naviextras account for over a year and have never been offered the speed camera database before, just map updates for over £100. I had therefore assumed the inbuilt satnav was incapable of speed camera recognition. I've never updated the maps on my HS due to the cost and the widespread issues others have had trying to update.

I've just logged into Naviextras for the first time in 6 months or more and, as you say, there is now a one time download of the speed camera database available. I'm now wondering if it will work with my slightly out of date maps or if it is somehow tied into the latest maps. Naviextras don't say, but there have been lots of problems updating the satnav reported by others, so it's a bit risky.

From new just over a year ago, my HS did not have the speed camera database installed at purchase. There have been other discussions about this on these forums where people have said they have speed camera recognition turned on, but it doesn't work, so I guess they were the same. This is the first time I've ever seen a speed camera database actually available.
I appreciate your concern, and it is entirely up to you, but it was made aware of on a facebook MG forum, some had downloaded it and was happy, so I did, and it works, but , I do not go over the speed limits, as I constantly use cruise control to avoid this, so if you do the same, it makes it irrelevant, but it was only £1.29 so I did it, if it was x 10, probably y not.

Just an update, now I have been out and used the map with the speed camera recognition, on the M25 & M1, I forgot about at the time, and got a "beep beep", I looked for warning signs, nothing, then it went off, then again, eventually, I realised this was the camera warnings, driving me nuts, I wish I had not done it, if you are one for constantly breaking the sp[eed limit, then get it, but I have all day to go where I am going, no need to speed, so wasted on me, I hope to disable it, or if the unreliable CarPlay works then fine, but not BEEP BEEP BEEOP every couple of miles.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom