Satnav. What's your Number?

ajw1100

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
As we are in Q4 2021, I was wondering what the Satnav mapping date is for those who have recently taken delivery of their HS PHEV? And for those who have had theirs for a while, have you or are you able to update your mapping or are stuck with out of date maps?

There is a route to updating the maps yourself via Naviextras but there is also a risk associated with this.

There is a route to updating the maps yourself via Naviextras but there is also a risk associated with this.
I would have expected the manufacturer to supply map updates, either free for a period of time or on a subscription. Is this not offered by MG?

As we are in Q4 2021, I was wondering what the Satnav mapping date is for those who have recently taken delivery of their HS PHEV? And for those who have had theirs for a while, have you or are you able to update your mapping or are stuck with out of date maps?
I have owned GS’s x2 and ZS x 2 and have updated maps on three of the four.
There has never been a problem doing the updates using the cumbersome Naviextras system, described in handbooks and on the website, but in every case there has never been a single free update of any map and unlike my Ssangyong Korando, my caravan tow car, which has received three free updates in the last 12 months from a free download site.
MGEVs have the same system and my six month old GS ev car has maps nearly two years old. It’s a poor show really especially as Naviextras charge about £108 for each and every update.
However with car play this becomes far less important.
Use Waze with a smart phone and get good integrated operations. Works a treat with my EV so Naviextras won’t be getting any more of my money

Thanks, I will make sure I get the latest version before the 90 days is up, £108 a go is somewhat steep as we only need UK mapping. I will have a look at Waze, thanks for the info Delboy 102000.

I haven't been offered a free update even within 90 days of sale and the maps on my new car delivered June 2021 are over a year out of date. When I went through the update process, all Naviextras offered for free was an update to the POI file, which I've found is pretty useless anyway. It only has a few categories and isn't a patch of any TOMTOM POI nor the built in system I had on my previous Jaguar XF.

If they are supposed to offer updates for 90 days, where does it state this? I received absolutely nothing with the car other than the brief update process mentioned in the handbook. How would Naviextras even know when any particular car had been sold/registered? Cars could sit in a dealer's compound for months before being sold (not so likely now I concede with the shortage of new cars!).

Off topic I know, but the AA membership is similar. I got a card with the new car but no additional information explaining exactly what is covered. Anyone know where there is an explanation of the AA cover?

I haven't been offered a free update even within 90 days of sale and the maps on my new car delivered June 2021 are over a year out of date. When I went through the update process, all Naviextras offered for free was an update to the POI file, which I've found is pretty useless anyway. It only has a few categories and isn't a patch of any TOMTOM POI nor the built in system I had on my previous Jaguar XF.

If they are supposed to offer updates for 90 days, where does it state this? I received absolutely nothing with the car other than the brief update process mentioned in the handbook. How would Naviextras even know when any particular car had been sold/registered? Cars could sit in a dealer's compound for months before being sold (not so likely now I concede with the shortage of new cars!).
I picked up my car at start of June 2021. There was no information about satnav updates. Through word of mouth on a Facebook group that there is a roughly 90 days update to latest map for new car. When I realised this I was just still within the 90 days. Sure there was a newer Western Europe map which I downloaded and updated. By this time it was September 2021 but the newest map I think it was Q4 2020. From previous experience with Naviextras, by the time they release their latest maps, they are already many months out.

Once you use the Naviextras toolbox and inserted the USB stick, (iirc) it did give me a date when my free update is unavailable until or similar. It was just over 90 days.

As for how does Naviextras know when the car is registered/sold. Go and have a look at your ‘next service’ option on the dash. It gives a date for your next service, check and see if that is a year after you bought the car. How does the car know?

Last edited:
I picked up my car at start of June 2021. There was no information about satnav updates. Through word of mouth on a Facebook group that there is a roughly 90 days update to latest map for new car. When I realised this I was just still within the 90 days. Sure there was a newer Western Europe map which I downloaded and updated. By this time it was September 2021 but the newest map I think it was Q4 2020. From previous experience with Naviextras, by the time they release their latest maps, they are already many months out.

Once you use the Naviextras toolbox and inserted the USB stick, (iirc) it did give me a date when my free update is unavailable until or similar. It was just over 90 days.

As for how does Naviextras know when the car is registered/sold. Go and have a look at your ‘next service’ option on the dash. It gives a date for your next service, check and see if that is a year after you bought the car. How does the car know?
I have not seen or heard of any 90 day either and never achieved a free update, the only one for this car, the ev, being the ChargeCar point update one.
Seriously though, Waze on smartphones gives you a split screen option and as I use Radioplayer which works better for me than DAB on unlimited data it really works so seamlessly and also gives integrated speed updates and warnings as well. It really is a better option.
As for the car knowing that because when put on the road the Pdi options set it off on delivery. The worse thing about the Mg sat nav is trying to get it to look in the right place as it is ponderous and difficult to use, and with the lag makes progress on the screen very difficult and usually achieved via a series of wrong inputs and false starts. Zap-Map is a pain though as it will not function through Car play unless you pay for a full blown sub.

Checked my SatNav, it states 'Jul 7 2020' on the screen or around 21 months out of date. Anyone with a later date? My dealer says the updates were checked on the PDI.

Off topic I know, but the AA membership is similar. I got a card with the new car but no additional information explaining exactly what is covered. Anyone know where there is an explanation of the AA cover?
Interesting , I didn’t even get a card with anything about the AA cover with my new HS PHEV, there is a download document on MGs website that explains what is covered though. It’s linked on this page

this is mine , i updated in feb this year with the free update , the way navi knows the date of your car is via its 1st gps lock (this can be seen from memory on the navi tool box some where, so if your car has been sat in the dealer for a bit etc this will of course be different and i would raise with the dealer personally , the main screen version is not related to the maps as far as i know as i had sept 2021 with 2019 maps so i put it down to that's the app version not the maps (happy to be corrected but i had 2021 app and 2019 maps)

Attachments

• 20220302_142621.jpg
    20220302_142621.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 20220302_145432.jpg
    20220302_145432.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220302_142700.jpg
    20220302_142700.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 111
Interesting , I didn’t even get a card with anything about the AA cover with my new HS PHEV, there is a download document on MGs website that explains what is covered though. It’s linked on this page
If you click the link for cover details on the AA page on the MG website, you get a page not found error. Honestly, the lack of info re the AA cover and the fact that the satnav could be updated within a specific time period is appalling. Why isn't this in the info supplied with the new car? It seems MG and the dealer can't be bothered to pass on the information. My HS was bought from a very long standing MG dealer and so there shouldn't be this ignorance of what is being offered to the customer, nor should a company like MG have a website with broken links. It's all very amateurish.

I downloaded the NaviExtra's app to my PC and it seemed I was entitled to a map update so followed the instructions, I did the update today, the guide says not to unplug or turn off the car during the update, the first screen showed as 'Checking Files' but screen went dead after a short time. I used Jto's advice of two pushes on brake pedal and tried again 'Checking files.....' went dead, restarted and I noticed checking bar was progressing so just restarted when needed.
Eventually the screen advised 'update successful' Phew!
Checked the MG Touch Navigation screen, that was exactly the same and seems not have updated anything! Is there a way to check it?

Load the sat nag, press settings bottom right of screen , then about , then content, find maps and press on it it will give you the version

Load the sat nag, press settings bottom right of screen , then about , then content, find maps and press on it it will give you the version
Thanks, I will go and play......

Now says 2021 Q4 (y)
:)

So that just leaves the SW to update, the same SW my dealer said was updated along with the Maps during the PDI. I wonder what else they forgot to do...............??

Last edited:
I downloaded the NaviExtra's app to my PC and it seemed I was entitled to a map update so followed the instructions, I did the update today, the guide says not to unplug or turn off the car during the update, the first screen showed as 'Checking Files' but screen went dead after a short time. I used Jto's advice of two pushes on brake pedal and tried again 'Checking files.....' went dead, restarted and I noticed checking bar was progressing so just restarted when needed.
Eventually the screen advised 'update successful' Phew!
Checked the MG Touch Navigation screen, that was exactly the same and seems not have updated anything! Is there a way to check it?
Can you please detail more precisely what you do to pass the update ? I also have my screen rebooting during the Checking Files process :/

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom