Saved me from a cold night stuck outside!

mattyc491

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Morning everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience of how the MG iSmart app saved me from a cold night stuck outside my own house!

For context we recently moved into a new house and my partner wanted to install a 'smart lock' on our front door because for some reason using house keys is now too difficult (I digress). Anyway, jump forward several months of me using a key fob to enter and exit our home when one evening I get a message from my partner asking me if I can pick her up from work.

Naturally I agree but in my rush to get out of the house I forget to grab my house keys which happen to contain my car keys as well. As I leave the house and try to enter the car it dawns on me I don't have my car keys, which also means I don't have my house keys. Just as the panic starts to set in I realize that I swear I saw some form of remote start in the iSmart app similar to a Tesla. Lo and behold, hidden under the my profile section is the ability to remotely unlock your car and start it up using your mobile phone. After a small amount of faffing and trial and error it worked!

It was in that moment that I knew I'd just avoided either a 3 hour wait stuck outside waiting for my partner to get home or else a very expensive uber ride to her work and back home again for her own keys!

I have had exactly this... only my house smart lock can be controlled via my phone, so I have happily left the house with just my phone and wallet before and been able to drive around and successfully get back in :)

Technology hey !.
Smart phones / Smart meters /
Smart this, smart that all okay 👍 when they are working correctly of course.
So many things are accessible from your phone these days, I just feel we are just a little too reliant on them though ?.
At my age, the phone is much smarter than I am !.
If something fails to work, I curse the phone.
When most of time it’s the fool ( me ) that is the problem, not the phone 🤣.

Technology hey !.
So many things are accessible from your phone these days, I just feel we are just a little too reliant on them though ?.
I keep 2 fivers between the back of my phone and the protective cover / case / plastic shell thing.

Technology hey !.
Where will this end? Next thing we'll have smart people.....! 😳

A family member who worked in IT told me this was referred to as a PICNIC problem... Problem In Chair Not In Computer... 🙄

Well why I’m here maybe one of you Smart Buggers can help me out my wife has the Mg4 it as iSMART so Q 1 I have loaded the app and eventually got it working but it works when it feels like these cold morning we have been trying to warm the car up for her and sometimes it will work and other time nothing have I got something wrong.?

Q2 I was going to delete the app from her iPhone an reloaded it to see if that would fix it but do I need to unbind the car first from her phone before I try that?

Q3 can the iSMART in the car be used with 2 iPhones hers and mine ?
Thanks
Les

What happened with me yesterday was, I pressed the front window demist icon and it said it failed. Only, I could see the rear lights on when it's preheating, so I went out to the car and sure enough the fans were running and the windscreen was defrosting. The moral of this tale is, don't believe everything the app tells you.

The moral of this tale is, don't believe everything the app tells you.
Very true !.
I opened the App this morning and ran the health check first, it gave me the predicted mileage after a charge.
Straight away, ran the health check for the second time, the predicted range dropped.
Run it for the third time and it changed again.
Also, it gave my address as two doors down the street 🤣.

Thank you chaps at least I now know it not just me with this issue I’m not very tech minded as many of you may know I just could work out what I had got with working then not working so thanks for your response
Les

Very true !.
I opened the App this morning and ran the health check first, it gave me the predicted mileage after a charge.
Straight away, ran the health check for the second time, the predicted range dropped.
Run it for the third time and it changed again.
Also, it gave my address as two doors down the street 🤣.
Nice having a good range of neighbours though eh? 🤣

Sounds like the house system needs the same features as the car where it doesn't let you lock the key fob inside and an app to open the house. ;)
Indeed! One wonders exactly which bits are "smart" on that system... Sounds like a Yale nightlatch in operation!

I have had exactly this... only my house smart lock can be controlled via my phone, so I have happily left the house with just my phone and wallet before and been able to drive around and successfully get back in :)
See my partner bought a second rate knock off 'smart' lock from Amazon, (Btw avoid the brand Simpled) it died on us and literally wouldn't work so we were using the spare 'emergency' key they give you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom