Scottish Highland Range Anxiety!

Jonhklee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
4CE753B3-37CF-4073-B3D0-A628BE44E51D.jpeg
B302A3B2-7034-4DD6-A73B-F1FDADC21AEC.jpeg

The Charge Place Scotland Network charging needs to be better - had to feather the throttle down to 6% in the middle of the Scottish highlands at 6C and finally reached a working rapid charger almost in darkness! No heating for last 30miles!
Talk about range anxiety!
1st choice rapid charger was occupied by a driverless Jag Ipace!!!
2nd Choice was not functioning
Final choice - worked!! And boy am I glad it did!

Last edited:
Sounds stressful. Although it is a gorgeous part of the world.

I'm curious.... The Jag i-pace not having its driver with it. Is that somehow 'wrong'?

@Jonhklee
Oh dear, you haven't seen my post of August last year when I expressed exactly the same pain as you are describing!!

I was doing the NC500 and at that time there not only was a problem at the Torridon/Shieldaig area, but also at the Durness/Tongue area and then again at Helmsdale.

View attachment 5256
The Charge Place Scotland Network charging needs to be better - had to feather the throttle down to 6% in the middle of the Scottish highlands at 6C and finally reached a working rapid charger almost in darkness! No heating for last 30miles!
You don't say where you were coming from or going to but it looks from the map like you were heading North up the A82 and on to Skye?
There are two rapid chargers in Fort Augustas. Two in Kyle of Lochalsh, two more in Kyleakin. One each at An Crubh, Broadford, Portree, Uig and Dunvegan. Plus numerous fast chargers.

Sounds stressful. Although it is a gorgeous part of the world.

I'm curious.... The Jag i-pace not having its driver with it. Is that somehow 'wrong'?
It’s not considered wrong, it’s just that I won’t know whether to wait for an unknown amount of time or move on…. I decided to move on.

Yes, I was en-route to Skye from Aberdeen! I had planned three rapid chargers along Loch Ness.

I drive to Skye regularly. The charger at Drumnadrochit is an old type, it works but will not charge the mg5. This is the only one that is an issue for us on the a82-a87 route but there are plenty of others and you should seldom have to drive more than 30 miles between rapid chargers.

View attachment 5256View attachment 5255
Fair play. I've had 'diesel range anxiety' when travelling through, especially when going to Applecross!

Fair play. I've had 'diesel range anxiety' when travelling through, especially when going to Applecross!

Unfortunately Applecross doesn't have 3 phase power so no hope of a rapid charger there for the foreseeable future.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom