• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

SCRUNCH at low speeds?

Ok, I remembered I’d been playing around in the settings the other day so rechecked everything. Brake set to HIGH so moved to NORMAL now the noise has disappeared.

On NORMAL I was getting the scrunch nearly every time I used the car. I've reduced the forward collision system sensiitivity to LOW and so far all is good

I'm pretty sure at this point, this noise is "normal" and wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just a case of whatever component doing it's job not being engineered sufficiently well enough to isolate the noise and vibration it makes when activating from the cabin. It (wherever it is!) would probably benefit from a sound insulating jacket installing around it.

I can report the same noise too. Im gona go out now and change that setting.

Yes I know the sound you mean I have had that a few times, particularly if a car slows in front and the car feels I haven’t slowed sufficiently, it can be quite sensitive, but it’s also adjustable in the settings.
You are an absolute legend. I have been hearing that noise too and only just saw your post. I went out and changed the setting to low and boom no more grinding.
Thanks very much

Mmmm....the plot thickens.....

I suspect you mayhave the same issue.

My dealer has referred this back to MG as he has experienced the same issue in their loan vehicle and he is awaiting a response from MG.

Meanwhile, I have followed advice from this forum and reduced the sensitivity on the forward collision system (go into car settings and scroll across to forward collision system) from normal to low and have done a couple of short trips (at low speeds - only approx 20 miles total so far) but I have heard no scrunching yet.

Fingers crossed!! But will certainly be interesting to see what MG come back with.
Thanks a million for your help

The forward collision is much more sensitive (even at low) than my previous e-Golf. I've had a couple of incidents where its started beeping at me when i've been regen slowing up to a car that is turning, seeing full well that before I get up its backside it will have made the turn. So even on low its more sensitive than I've experienced previously with collision systems.

I believe the closing speed and steering angle affects it as well as the distance.
If (traffic permitting) you turn the wheel away from the vehicle in front then the forward collision warning doesn't come on.
My Prius is the same but doesn't actually prime the brakes, probably because the ICE motor vacuum is already there, it puts a "BRAKE" warning message on the screen but it doesn't brake until the last moment if you don't react and a collision is imminent. The message disappears on turning the steering wheel away from the hazard, it happens with parked cars as well.

Update..
I tried switching off the forward collision warning as the sensitivity setting kept defaulting to normal.
By switching it off it actually works too, so no scrunching noise. However that setting defaults too. ?

On NORMAL I was getting the scrunch nearly every time I used the car. I've reduced the forward collision system sensiitivity to LOW and so far all is good

Spoke too soon - have been setting sensitivity to low at start of every journey with good results (pain it defaults back to normal) but sadly had the scrunch yesterday. (though not as harsh or loud as early on)

Straight level road; car in front was some distance away; I was accelerating slowly (around 15mph) - only possible obstuctions were cars coming in the opposite directtion on their side of the road.

Have chased my dealer for any news from MG.

Can I join scrunch club?

Here’s my data; in one thousand miles I’ve had two random warning beeps, one random scrunch at 20mph and another scrunch as part of auto braking.

I had a car in front turning into a side road and I was driving around them, the car thought collision and activated.

I've had over 30 scrunches in 2000 miles - all at low speeds. I do all my driving in regen 3, using the brakes sparingly. Perhaps the car thinks I'm not braking because of using the regn? I was wondering if you drive in regen 1 and have to use the brakes more often whether the scrunch is avoided? Anyone with any data on this theory?

I drive with regen 3 and I always play the distance game, if I have to brake above 5mph I’ve lost. I like the feel of regen and it’s free energy. I use it slowing from 60mph in a tenth of a mile for example.

Over 30 times is super excessive and definitely sounds like a fault, maybe bad sensor. Like I said I’ve had two scrunches, one random and one as part of collision avoidance.

Likewise - I try not to use the brakes if I can help it.

Think you are pobably right about a faulty sensor - still waiting for dealer to get back to me but will certainly go down this route with him.

Hi
I have a similar problem too.
This random horrible noise has put my wife off in using the car and she wants me to exchange it with a Leaf,
I Never had any issues with Leaf for 3.5 years (49000miles).
I booked the car in Last Friday in Hyundi Southampton (wasted my Friday) and they said it is a big job and I need to bring it back and leave with with them for a week. !!

Hi
This random horrible noise has put my wife off in using the car and she wants me to exchange it with a Leaf,
I booked the car in Last Friday in Hyundi Southampton (wasted my Friday) and they said it is a big job and I need to bring it back and leave with with them for a week. !!
So did they say what the actual problem is and what’s needs to be done to correct it?

Hi

I'll be fascinated to see what they are going to do, it's a normal noise associated with the functioning of the auto braking systems. The issue is, it's not been isolated from the cars structure, or soundproofed enough during design. Maybe SAIC/MG have designed a retrofit jacket or something for soundproofing? (but I very much doubt it) Please keep us updated.

I've just accepted it as a quirk of the car now, I've got much bigger things to worry about that actually matter!

Hi

Likewise - please let us know what they decide to do about it and what the fault turns out to be.

Mine is booked in again in October for them to have another look. Recently the car braked by itself so sharply that the front end dipped - only lasted a second or so. I was approaching green lights, under 20mph, car in front about 30 - 40 feet away (so no collison danger), made a sudden sharp left turn so maybe the sensors picked up the sudden change in direction? I think there may be something wrong with the sensitivity of the sensors - I have been changing the sensitivity of the Forqard Collision System to LOW at the start of every journey. This has helped reduce the frequency of the problem but has not eliminated it. Now over 30 instances in 2200 miles of driving. Cannot be normal or acceptable!

Not yet , I'm booked in for Friday after next.
We have to wait and see what they are going to do.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom