• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

SCRUNCH at low speeds?

Likewise - please let us know what they decide to do about it and what the fault turns out to be.

Mine is booked in again in October for them to have another look. Recently the car braked by itself so sharply that the front end dipped - only lasted a second or so. I was approaching green lights, under 20mph, car in front about 30 - 40 feet away (so no collison danger), made a sudden sharp left turn so maybe the sensors picked up the sudden change in direction? I think there may be something wrong with the sensitivity of the sensors - I have been changing the sensitivity of the Forqard Collision System to LOW at the start of every journey. This has helped reduce the frequency of the problem but has not eliminated it. Now over 30 instances in 2200 miles of driving. Cannot be normal or acceptable!

Yours doesn't sound quite right, I've done over 5000 miles and had about half a dozen interventions with the car braking, but in all cases it's been valid, in that the car was being slightly more cautious than me or wasn't aware that a car turning off would be gone by the time we got to where it was, so I was driving faster than the car thought prudent. That's having it set to standard as well, not low.

Agree mine doesn't sound quite right! Has even "scrunched" (though didn't brake) when driving on a straight road with nothing in front - only cars coming in the opposite direction on their side of the road! (twice)

I would think it’s a sensor issue as I’ve never had this really happen to me unless I was a little to close to the car in front..my fault not the car, but I’m glad it’s there..

Hi all
I also hear this horrible noise from time to time and my car is in hand of Southampton’s garage and I get the feeling that they don’t really know EVs and can only hope they can fix it. I had a Leaf for 40 months and never had anything go wrong or heard any strange noises. So no real reason to hear this Clanking noise.

Well, I brought my car to southampton MG and had it booked in for the BMS update, the recall and the comfort 2. They had two weeks notice prior to booking and they didnt know what the BMS update was and they didnt know the recall was a part swap out, so they had no part. They carried out the comfort 2 with out issue. I had to get the other stuff done with a different dealer some time later.

Its funny that there is a general consensus that most MG dealers dont know EV's.

Strange that, I bought mine from Southampton and they’ve been around since last year and they are part of the Hyundai dealer next door. You would expect them to know what’s what. There is a dealership in Bournemouth also part of a Hyundai dealership if need an alternative.

Thanks teepee , it would be nice to compare.
They are keeping mine for a week !! and maybe look at it for a few minutes.
It would be good to know which MG dealer has its own service department as I'm fed up of having to go to Hyundai to get my MG fixed, it's like buying a suit from M&S and taking it back to ASDA for any amendments.

Haha thats a good analogy, but I would be inclined to suggest MG as ASDA 🤣

Just collected mine after 2 days in the dealership. (He also handles KIA and NISSAN). 10 mile journey home was fine. Only time will tell if its been fixed - I'm not filled with confidence that they know it's been fixed though. They were a bit vague as to the problem other than "they've spent a lot of time on it". Was told they've reconfigured the FDA (??? forward detection ? ?) and done the BMS (battery management system ?) update - though what that has to do with it who knows? Also cleaned the brake calipers.

Got a long trip to Clacton tomorrow, but as nearly all the problems have been at low speeds around town, not sure if this trip will be a good test.

Have had their courtesy ZS EV for a few days and that behaves quite differently. On a couple of ocassions cars in front have turned off sharply and there has been an audible warning from the dashboard but no braking or scrunch. If I had been in my own car in those circumstances I would definitely have had NO audible warning only the scrunch and possbily the car braking.

Esi, curious what the tell you when you collect your car.......

Just collected mine after 2 days in the dealership. (He also handles KIA and NISSAN). 10 mile journey home was fine. Only time will tell if its been fixed - I'm not filled with confidence that they know it's been fixed though. They were a bit vague as to the problem other than "they've spent a lot of time on it". Was told they've reconfigured the FDA (??? forward detection ? ?) and done the BMS (battery management system ?) update - though what that has to do with it who knows? Also cleaned the brake calipers.

Got a long trip to Clacton tomorrow, but as nearly all the problems have been at low speeds around town, not sure if this trip will be a good test.

Have had their courtesy ZS EV for a few days and that behaves quite differently. On a couple of ocassions cars in front have turned off sharply and there has been an audible warning from the dashboard but no braking or scrunch. If I had been in my own car in those circumstances I would definitely have had NO audible warning only the scrunch and possbily the car braking.

Esi, curious what the tell you when you collect your car.......

Hmm.... Dealer is clueless. Reconfiguring the FDA sounds like BS to me. Cleaning the calipers on a nearly new car, again BS I'm afraid. The BMS update needs doing on all our cars, it's to stop the possibility of the main fuse blowing, so that was the only worthwhile thing they've actually done.

Mine makes the audible collision warning just before applying the brakes if I don't. But this isn't synchronised in any was with the scrunch noise. Maybe your car is running a different version of software...

Last edited:
"....it's a normal feature of the car."

Perhaps the quiet vacuum whoosing sound may be normal but the severity and frequency of noises I have heard cannot. The sound is like metal grinding on metal. 40 odd instances in 2200 miles.

If it had happened on a test drive it would be enough for me to not purchase the car.

In very similar circumstances (cars turning sharply left in front of me) their courtesy ZS EV simply gave an audible warning from the dashboard. If I had been in my own car in those circumstances I would definitely have had no audible warning only the scrunch and possbily the car braking.

Hi all
Got mine back after a week and they did not find any problems So annoying as I don’t think the messages got to the mechanics properly. Lost in translation

Hi Esi
Infuriating, isn't it. I can't believe this is "normal" for the car as many are suggesting - if it is, then I really doubt the design and build of the car.

On my trip yesterday I had a couple of "scrunches" around London traffic - for no apparent reason. So I don't think mine has been solved at all. Not sure where to go from here. Will keep logging incidents as they occur and see if anything improves.

I have recently read that on other EV cars......the "scrunch-o-meter" is better sited / insulated...it still happens but is much less noisy.

This doesn't tackle the problem of the cars forward sensors being too sensitive. Although, thinking about it, for me, I'd sooner have it that way round....than pile into someone. :mad:

My conclusion is that it is the brake vacuum pump/motor located at the near side rear of the front bulkhead. All three of the Toyota hybrids that I’ve owned make theses noises sometimes when not even switched on. The MG does seem much louder and harsher than I’ve experienced before but then it’s not that sophisticated a car. These noises are not something Im concerned about.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom