• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

SCRUNCH at low speeds?

We have had our MG for four weeks, we immediately noticed the same issue as posted here, I experienced it when a pedestrian came close to front of car. I assumed it was the emergency collision software so turned it off but it comes back on when car is restarted so it's set to default on. Will try lowering sensitivity. On a plus note auto headlights worked well last night though it was my first try with them.

I lowered the sensitivity and it seemed to improve, but not eliminate, this issue. But as you say it defaults to normal when switched off.

Sorry for late reply.
I left the car with them for a week and they spent 10 minutes to conclude that it is normal for MG to make this noise!!!

Sorry for late reply.
I left the car with them for a week and they spent 10 minutes to conclude that it is normal for MG to make this noise!!!
Hi Esi,

Yep, my experience was similar. Since they did the "reconfiguaration of the FDA" it happens less harshly and less frequently but has not gone away. I do now though get the "Forward Collison alert" warning sometimes on the central binnacle without the scrunch. I never used to get this warning, it went straight to the scrunch; so I suppose it has improved somewhat. Since 99% of my driving is crawling around city streets where there are far more potential obstacles, I suppose I am more susceptible to it than many other drivers. On a recent long trip to the seaside on good A roads it didn't happen at all.

I think the excuse that it is "normal" for MG just indicates poor design/build but I don't see the dealerships being able to resolve it.

Hey ho.

Hi teepee
That’s a shame as I really like the car and many great features but they need to fix these issues if they want to survive the EV game

Hi Esi,

Yep, my experience was similar. Since they did the "reconfiguaration of the FDA" it happens less harshly and less frequently but has not gone away. I do now though get the "Forward Collison alert" warning sometimes on the central binnacle without the scrunch. I never used to get this warning, it went straight to the scrunch; so I suppose it has improved somewhat. Since 99% of my driving is crawling around city streets where there are far more potential obstacles, I suppose I am more susceptible to it than many other drivers. On a recent long trip to the seaside on good A roads it didn't happen at all.

I think the excuse that it is "normal" for MG just indicates poor design/build but I don't see the dealerships being able to resolve it.

Hey ho.
I may be wrong here but I think there may be an element of learning either in the cars software or maybe in the driver. Mine seems to go into it's panic "BRAKE" mode much less now than it did when I first got it. More often than not it just displays the "BRAKE" warning and cuts the power momentarily rather than applying the brakes.

Hi all - wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

In the early days the noise was like that when a brake drum has worn down and you get a loud metal on metal sound - only lasts a second and is intermittent - only seems to happen at low speed (under 17mph) - sometimes when slowly accelerating, sometimes just cruising, sometimes easing off and regen starts to kick in.

Noise has progressed to a quieter scrunch - same symptoms and sometimes the car's speed is clearly momentarily slowed down. Seems to emanate from front right side.

Reported it just before lockdown but only able to get it back to dealer last week - lubricated suspension (?) and returned car.

It happened again today so back the car has gone....

Anyone else had similar issues?
I was just at the dealer today - because we have the same issue.. The dealer thinks it is the Gear box, but has reported it to MG and waiting for a response. The first time they looked at the issue.. they greased all the brakes .. so defiantly was not that :) . car has gone 6000 km

It will be interesting to see if MG come up with an answer? Mine is still doing this but not as often or as harshly.

There is actually one with only one gear ratio (as in most EVs, except the Porsche Taycan which actually has 2 ratios).

Interesting to see if the gearbox is the culprit.

Not sure this the same noise being experienced (we have had a few "scrunches from what seemed the brakes).

To me the same noise and effect was with a New Mercedes A200AMG, the lane control would activate very aggressively, pull you back in lane and hard brake at the same time. So much so that I was concerned about the cars behind as it would be very abrupt
It would also be felt and heard with anti collision: i.e. car in front turning right and me accelerating too early it could still "see" the front vehicle and brake with a crunch. You could turn it off but it reengaged each time on restart.
My JLR Evoque and Discovery did the same but not so noisy or aggressive.

So when I have heard the noise on the ZS, I put it down to the same as above. Maybe seeing vehicles approaching or obstacles in front or to the sides (think I had one with pedestrian once)

Last edited:
Just seen this on the MG EV Owners club 'Your Questions Answered' page. Your questions answered
Don't know if this has already been posted but here goes:

Q What is the intermittent grinding sound that I can sometimes hear from somewhere in the car.
A It is the ABS (anti-lock brake system) and AEB (automatic emergency brake) priming itself to stop in case you don’t! Generally the car's cameras have seen something it thinks might be a risk.

Just seen this on the MG EV Owners club 'Your Questions Answered' page. Your questions answered
Don't know if this has already been posted but here goes:

Q What is the intermittent grinding sound that I can sometimes hear from somewhere in the car.
A It is the ABS (anti-lock brake system) and AEB (automatic emergency brake) priming itself to stop in case you don’t! Generally the car's cameras have seen something it thinks might be a risk.
Hmm my car must be super risk adverse then and have super vision .... as it happens almost all the time.

I was just at the dealer today - because we have the same issue.. The dealer thinks it is the Gear box, but has reported it to MG and waiting for a response. The first time they looked at the issue.. they greased all the brakes .. so defiantly was not that :) . car has gone 6000 km
Update.. the "gearbox" is being replaced on 22 Dec.. So lets see if that works

I have noticed a noise when using ACC and in very slow moving traffic. As you get nearer the car in front the car auto brakes and there is a clicking/crunching noise from the front wheels like the ABS being activated. I asked the dealer about it and they contacted MG in the Netherlands and they said this was normal and over time the noise would go away.

Looks like another case of owner/buyer helping to develop a thoroughly untested vehicle!

All part of MG beta testing?

I have noticed a noise when using ACC and in very slow moving traffic. As you get nearer the car in front the car auto brakes and there is a clicking/crunching noise from the front wheels like the ABS being activated. I asked the dealer about it and they contacted MG in the Netherlands and they said this was normal and over time the noise would go away.
It’s the system preparing itself to respond, electronics!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom