• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

SCRUNCH at low speeds?

I get the scrunching noise now and again but I try to ignore it. I just hope that if/when I am really going to hit something it stops it happening!!

Mine doesn't "scrunch" when it primes the brakes, just a gentle hum from the ABS pump.

Several owners have reported similar occurrences. The forward collision sensors spot a potential hazard and respond with either:

1. A warning chime if the car's speed is above a certain level (around 15mph I think - handbook is specific about this somewhere), or
2. The brakes start to prime (this is the scrunching sound heard) in readiness for activating the brakes at low speeds instead of giving the audible warning.

I believe the consensus is that this is "normal for the car". My dealer reconfigured the forward collision sensors and it seemed to improve things for a short while. Until, a few months ago with nothing on the road ahead of me, nor on the oncoming side of the road, nor any pedestrians/cyclists etc, the car activated the brakes and brought the car to a complete stop. I was doing less than 15mph at the time. A few weeks later the brakes activated again in very heavy traffic and a taxi behind nearly shunted me.

Again, the car went in to the dealer who again reconfigured the forward collision sensors, without ever really giving an explanation of why this would happen. So far the car is back to the more predictable scrunch (although not as loud as it originally was) when it spots cyclists or similar in the road ahead.

Hey ho.
See my car was put down to the brakes within month had shown signs of damage and bad rusting. They took ownership but the new noise is only one side. The car is been looked at this week, will see which excuse they come up this time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom