SE or Trophy

DOT

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Trying to decide between an SE or Trophy, so both facelift. Would be looking at a new SE or an ex demo Trophy with 2-3k miles on, both would be roughly the same price. What would others do, go new with less fancy bits or buy used with a couple thousand miles for the same price?

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have one of the first MG5's, an SR Excite no frills but does exactly what it says on the tin.
Do you need the extras, or get a new car in the colour you want?

I’m swinging towards a trophy, guess main concern is dealers will have kept the battery at 100% to show off full range for test drives, and there’ll inevitably have been long gaps between tests, slightly concerned about any battery damage. Other than that I’d have no issues with an ex demo.

I’m swinging towards a trophy, guess main concern is dealers will have kept the battery at 100% to show off full range for test drives, and there’ll inevitably have been long gaps between tests, slightly concerned about any battery damage. Other than that I’d have no issues with an ex demo.
Is that what they did for your test drive ? It would surprise me if they did, but I am easily surprised. :)

Is that what they did for your test drive ? It would surprise me if they did, but I am easily surprised. :)
I’ve not test driven this particular one, but with all other ev’s I’ve done they’ve been fully charged beforehand.

I had an MG5 for a few hours on test drive. I don't think the tyres would last long if I drove mine like that, and I know others who have done the same, but apart from that I don't think there'd be any issues with the car from potential customers driving them (I'm thinking like over-revving or not being run-in properly)

It's more likely they charge them for test drives but even if they have left it at 100% it's not in my opinion likely to have a noticable impact on range yet. You could test drive it, charge to 100% reset the trip data and check the gom to see if it has major battery deterioration, or ask them for soh of the battery.

Probably charge to 100 overnight and use for the rest of the day.

Sorry all, just realised I’d put SR not SE! 🤦
Which probably caused some confusion.
So both facelifts, one lower spec new or an ex demo with a couple thousand miles, same price.

Sorry all, just realised I’d put SR not SE! 🤦
Which probably caused some confusion.
So both facelifts, one lower spec new or an ex demo with a couple thousand miles, same price.
Lower spec new would be my choice. The SE is slightly lighter so will have better range. You also have choice of colour and you are the 1st owner when it comes to trade in. You honestly don’t need the extras the more expensive car has.

Lower spec new would be my choice. The SE is slightly lighter so will have better range. You also have choice of colour and you are the 1st owner when it comes to trade in. You honestly don’t need the extras the more expensive car has.
I feel that the 360deg camera makes a big difference. The heated front seats could also be useful in winter to save on power and the folding mirrors and auto aircon are also handy. I can do without the privacy glass and the auto wipers, though.

I feel that the 360deg camera makes a big difference. The heated front seats could also be useful in winter to save on power and the folding mirrors and auto aircon are also handy. I can do without the privacy glass and the auto wipers, though.
You didn’t need a 360deg camera when you passed your test. The cloth seats in the SE are not cold in the winter, a couple of minutes with the car switched on clears the windscreen and heats the cabin. Folding mirrors, ok but not a big issue. SE more than enough money to spend and you get nearly everything you really need.

My wife has gone for the SE LR on Motability, the advance payment disparity there was way too much between the two models when assessing the specs. £799 for the SE, £999 for the SE LR and £1999 for the Trophy.

I find it frankly ridiculous that MG do not have at least a reversing camera as standard. The test drive in the demo Trophy we were woefully unimpressed with the camera quality. We couldn't care less about heated seats, or pleather or satellite navigation when the cabin already has android auto/carplay integration. The extra two speakers in the rear would have been a nice bonus, and laughable frankly that MG have the gall to state 4 Speakers in the SE models when it actually is 2 Speakers + 2 Tweeters.

We thought the light pattern and clear plastic across the rear spoiler looked a bit cheap, as did the two spoilers on the rear window.

I think if anyone is purchasing rather than leasing, with some of the deals out there currently on Trophys sat in showrooms discounted, snap them up...else frankly besides a (crappy quality) 360 camera there is really little extra to be that excited about....at least in our opinion.

Last edited:
My apologies, only just realised this is an MG5 thread, didn't realise model specs used the same terms.
No problem, just confused me - but then I'm easily confused these days :)

We didn't like the rear lighting system on the MG4 either - and we weren't impressed by the clear acrylic. The showroom model was already showing some scratches.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom