SE to trophy spoiler upgrade.

DANC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
For those interested I've recently installed the trophy spoiler on my SE (essence and excite for Australia). Was a piece of cake. 9 bolts hot swap. For those wanting the se upper tailgate cover for their orange trophy I'm selling my d pillar trims and tailgate cover. Can arrange shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_095212.jpg
    IMG_20240128_095212.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20240128_103904.jpg
    IMG_20240128_103904.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't take pictures unfortunately but can say it is a simple activity. You will need a trim removal tool or plastic ruler, a 10mm socket with extension bar ideally magnetic, or if it isn't magnetic, a small strong magnet (this is to ensure the nuts don't drop into the body panel cavity).

Step 1. Carefully slide the trim removal tool under the top of the black d pillar trim. Feel for where the trim clip is, when it's is near the clip Firm lever upwards to unclip. From here you will be able to get your fingers under the overhang at the top and carefully pull with both hands to dislodge the bottom clip. The D-Pillar trim should pull free. Set aside and repeat on other side of the car.

Step 2. Open the boot, unhook the parcel shelf, locate the 9 black plastic bolt covers at the top of the tailgate and lever out with either the trim removal tool or a plastic ruler. Set these aside

Step 3. In the central larger hole, stick your finger in to pull out the central brake light connector and disconnect. Place the brake light lead into the hole ( this will make sure it doesn't snag when you pull out the tailgate cover).

Step 4. Use the 10mm socket to carefully remove all 9 nuts in the holes across the top of the tailgate. This is where you will need to be very careful as the nuts dislodge from the threads there is a risk they drop into the body cavity. If they do, put the magnet in a thin plastic bag and use it to gently slip the nut up the body work towards the hole ( the plastic bag will help avoid scratching the paint). Set all nuts aside

Step 5. Gently slide the trim removal tool or plastic ruler under the side of the tailgate cover. ( There are two trim clips on the side of the tailgate you need to dislodge). Slide tool untill you are near them and lever up. Once both clips are unclipped mover along the tailgate cover pulling the cover up. The tailgate should come free easily. Set aside.

Step 6. Pull out your new spoiler and d pillar covers and make sure all clips are in place. From here reverse all steps to install the new spoiler.

Whole process should take around 30 Minutes.

Hi mate do you have a step by step for doing this? Thanks
See above

I didn't take pictures unfortunately but can say it is a simple activity. You will need a trim removal tool or plastic ruler, a 10mm socket with extension bar ideally magnetic, or if it isn't magnetic, a small strong magnet (this is to ensure the nuts don't drop into the body panel cavity).

Step 1. Carefully slide the trim removal tool under the top of the black d pillar trim. Feel for where the trim clip is, when it's is near the clip Firm lever upwards to unclip. From here you will be able to get your fingers under the overhang at the top and carefully pull with both hands to dislodge the bottom clip. The D-Pillar trim should pull free. Set aside and repeat on other side of the car.

Step 2. Open the boot, unhook the parcel shelf, locate the 9 black plastic bolt covers at the top of the tailgate and lever out with either the trim removal tool or a plastic ruler. Set these aside

Step 3. In the central larger hole, stick your finger in to pull out the central brake light connector and disconnect. Place the brake light lead into the hole ( this will make sure it doesn't snag when you pull out the tailgate cover).

Step 4. Use the 10mm socket to carefully remove all 9 nuts in the holes across the top of the tailgate. This is where you will need to be very careful as the nuts dislodge from the threads there is a risk they drop into the body cavity. If they do, put the magnet in a thin plastic bag and use it to gently slip the nut up the body work towards the hole ( the plastic bag will help avoid scratching the paint). Set all nuts aside

Step 5. Gently slide the trim removal tool or plastic ruler under the side of the tailgate cover. ( There are two trim clips on the side of the tailgate you need to dislodge). Slide tool untill you are near them and lever up. Once both clips are unclipped mover along the tailgate cover pulling the cover up. The tailgate should come free easily. Set aside.

Step 6. Pull out your new spoiler and d pillar covers and make sure all clips are in place. From here reverse all steps to install the new spoiler.

See above
Excellent piece and instructions.

Bet I could make it last 3 days 😂😂

You've definitely got me thinking about this now. Got a red SE LR coming in a couple of weeks or so. Fancy black spoiler. Whereabouts do you get them from please ?

See above
Many thanks for this thread. Have this spoiler on the way to me. Absolutely no information online for this. your instructions are ace. I'm far less nervous now about completing this myself.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom