Searching for power in the great beyond

Shrink Proof

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Currently in Shetland, really putting the 2 week old MG5 LR through its paces. Howling winds, squally showers, twisty roads, etc., with 4 on board and often a serious amount of luggage/kit. So it's hard work for the motor, plus lights on, wipers on, AC on, heated rear window on, satnav on, demister on, you name it. Have even had so much rainwater that it covered the camera (acting like a sort-of lens) which gave the road sign reading mechanism a psychotic breakdown. Getting an average of 3.2 miles/Kwh which I reckon is pretty good considering. Chargers all work thankfully, and all totally free, courtesy of ChargePlace Scotland. But all the ones I've encountered are 7Kw, so the search for amps goes on.

And this is NOT a place where you'd want to get stranded...
PA102503a.jpg

Last edited:
3.2 miles/kWh sounds fair - I just got 3.0 when similarly loaded & ancillaries but all motorway miles @ 65mph.

Good to hear that the CPS chargers are behaving, they’ve been a little flaky the past week for me 👍

For travelling/holidaying in Europe or Scandinavia this is quite good too. Allows you to use the granny anywhere.

Back to mainland Scotland. The MG5 performed admirably, but Shetland could do with more than 3 public chargers that run faster than 7kW. OTOH, ChargePlace Scotland's kit always worked, though now and then it took 2 or 3 goes to get it to kick in. And I can't complain at having drawn over 158kWhr for the princely sum of nowt. Several hundred (very scenic) miles for free...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom