Seatbelt Frustration

Gandalfharrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Bring my car onto the drive, get out to close the gates. BUT when I get back inside to move the car back a couple of feet it insists I put a seat belt on. This is very frustrating. Can it be turned off?

Bring my car onto the drive, get out to close the gates. BUT when I get back inside to move the car back a couple of feet it insists I put a seat belt on. This is very frustrating. Can it be turned off?
No.

You will never be able to turn off the seatbelt warning.

Not got my car yet but i had another car like this. A bit annoying but I used to plug the seatbelt in behind me when I first jumped out.

I didn't test it on the ZS when I test drove it, but does the car actually prevent you from moving if you don't have a seat belt plugged in or is it just an annoying noise and message telling you to put it on? if the latter, then I could very easily tune out that noise if i needed to move the car off my drive to get my motorbike out for example

Not a warning, it prevents you moving the car!
If it is anything like my other cars it is that it stops the handbrake being automatically released, which can be overridden by manually releasing the parking brake. My BMW I just sold did this, and the Q3 that is going at the weekend does this.

Not a warning, it prevents you moving the car!
hi grandalfharrow i wonder if using a seat belt buckle extension might help here just plug it in and plug your seat belt into it so when you release your seat belt the extension is left in making the system think you are still buckled up,they are just a few pound to buy..

hi grandalfharrow i wonder if using a seat belt buckle extension might help here just plug it in and plug your seat belt into it so when you release your seat belt the extension is left in making the system think you are still buckled up,they are just a few pound to buy..
In a normal size/shape person (as these are designed for use when the seatbelt is not long enough to be clipped in) it will change the geometry of the belt and introduce another failure point on the seat belt and therefore likely present an enhanced safety risk. I personally would never use a seat belt extension (especially a cheap one from the internet) unless it was one specifically provided by the manufacturer... The belt is there for my safety and to be honest, I do not fancy having an intimate encounter with my windscreen for the sake of being annoyed at having to put my seatbelt on to move my car a small distance...

But even still, the issue is likely because the car doesn't automatically release the parking brake without a seat belt being plugged in... likely able to counter that by putting foot on break and releasing the parking brake with the switch like you would have to do before auto release.

I just tested this

Got in, did not fasten seatbelt, press the brake, press start, put car into reverse and let go of the brake and the car reversed.

No alarm other than a small red telltale in the instrument cluster.

In a normal size/shape person (as these are designed for use when the seatbelt is not long enough to be clipped in) it will change the geometry of the belt and introduce another failure point on the seat belt and therefore likely present an enhanced safety risk. I personally would never use a seat belt extension (especially a cheap one from the internet) unless it was one specifically provided by the manufacturer... The belt is there for my safety and to be honest, I do not fancy having an intimate encounter with my windscreen for the sake of being annoyed at having to put my seatbelt on to move my car a small distance...

But even still, the issue is likely because the car doesn't automatically release the parking brake without a seat belt being plugged in... likely able to counter that by putting foot on break and releasing the parking brake with the switch like you would have to do before auto release.
Thanks agree re the extension, did not think of parking brake. Will try that.

I just tested this

Got in, did not fasten seatbelt, press the brake, press start, put car into reverse and let go of the brake and the car reversed.

No alarm other than a small red telltale in the instrument cluster.
That's what my mk1 happily does, the bongs start at ~6+mph but also stop as you go below ~6mph

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom