Second Hand MG5 (21 Plate)

EVnewbie1337

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello all!

Complete EV noob as the name suggests. I'm picking up a second hand MG5 2021 plate on Friday. Excited and nervous at the same time...

Is there anything I should be looking out for? Any tips?

I've seen from other posts to ensure the charging (granny) cable is present, which it is. And service history. Is there a way to check the history of the cars service online?

Thanks in advance!

I would try and verify the service history if possible . If it hasn't been serviced your 7 year warranty is probably out the window . As @Alb suggested , if you're buying from an MG dealership they could probably verify the service history

Upvote 0
That should be OK then . Just check the battery state of health that should have been recorded at it's last service
I'll check this out. I see a lot of MG5s being used as taxis so that was one if my worries. But I saw that an MG dealer won't sell a second hand car that's been used as a taxi, is that true?

I still have the option to back out obviously, hoping it doesn't come to that as it was such a nice drive when I took it for a spin!

Upvote 0
I'll check this out. I see a lot of MG5s being used as taxis so that was one if my worries. But I saw that an MG dealer won't sell a second hand car that's been used as a taxi, is that true?

I still have the option to back out obviously, hoping it doesn't come to that as it was such a nice drive when I took it for a spin!
What is the mileage? If it's low ,chances are it wasn't a taxi. Is the dealer you're getting it from the original seller from new ?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum, is it an Exclusive or Excite?
You maybe lucky and it has a type2 cable in the boot too for AC type2 EVSE 7kW units.
There are a few threads on picking up new cars but can apply to 2nd hand cars too.
It should have had at least one service so get a price for the second one.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum, is it an Exclusive or Excite?
You maybe lucky and it has a type2 cable in the boot too for AC type2 EVSE 7kW units.
There are a few threads on picking up new cars but can apply to 2nd hand cars too.
It should have had at least one service so get a price for the second one.
Thank you!

It's an Exclusive. Noted on the charging cable.

The deal I got comes with 2 services included from MG.

Upvote 0
My 22 plate is on 14000 ish now . So 12000 seems pretty good . I think it would be wise to get as much information as you possibly can from the dealer .
Our 70 plate MG5SR (pre FL) has done 45k and definitely not been used as a taxi so it all depends on the history of the vehicle. A lovely car to drive for sure!

Upvote 0
I would try and verify the service history if possible . If it hasn't been serviced your 7 year warranty is probably out the window . As @Alb suggested , if you're buying from an MG dealership they could probably verify the service history
Also check that the dealer has renewed the AA membership at the last service.

Upvote 0
My 21 plate SR has done nearly 60k miles has 98% state of health on the battery and is as comfortable to drive today as when new. Company car.

Upvote 0
My MG5 Excite was purchased new from this dealer. We also have a new MG ZS from same dealer. I don’t think you will have any worries, they have been great so far. There’s also Gillanders in Aberdeen who serviced ours after the 1st year, approx £100 each car. If you are like us you will thoroughly enjoy the car, have very few problems and happy motoring. Get a home charger unit installed if you don’t have one yet.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom