Selling up

peteg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Sadly, we have decided to sell our ZS Trophy Long Range that we bought new in June this year. Mostly happy with the car itself, but the issue for us has proved to be charging away from home. Most of the time we have been charging at home without any problem and if we were able to do that all the time there wouldn't be any issue. In recent weeks however we've had a number of occasions away from home where we have needed to charge at public charging points. One issue has been lack of availability - in some of the areas we've been there just have not been very many. Another issue has been that quite a high proportion of those we have tried have been out of action.
We live in a semi rural area in Scotland and bad weather in recent weeks has caused diversions due to roads and bridges being closed, meaning longer journeys and unexpected need for charging away from home. Other times we have been out for the day and have unexpectedly had to drive somewhere else, making for a longer journey. Another issue in the past couple of weeks has been the drop in battery efficiency due to the cold. When we bought the car in the summer a 100% charge gave about 270 miles range. One cold day last week when the temperature was just below 0 Celsius (and we would expect colder temperatures over the winter) I charged to 100% and had a stated range of less than 180 miles. I knew from simple physics that battery efficiency drops in colder temperatures but that's a significant loss.
I'm disappointed to be selling as I was very keen to make the switch to electric but in many ways it hasn't worked for us. If we lived in a city and used the car mainly for short journeys it would be different, but we have needed on occasion recently to use our other car, a diesel, and it seems an extravagance to keep an electric car if it can't be used almost all the time.
I have no doubt that we will be back to an electric car in the future, by which time our personal circumstances will probably mean less long journeys. Hopefully also, public charging infrastructure will be both more plentiful and more reliable. If not, the 2030 target seems even less likely!

P.S. On the plus side, we have agreed a deal for another car (sorry, another diesel!) and are losing very little on what we paid for the car new. Very different from "normal" times, where if you sold a new car after less than 6 months you would have lost a lot more.

Last edited:
I have been shocked by the battery drop as well, I live in the Welsh valleys and it getting really cold now. It’s having a huge impact!

I have been shocked by the battery drop as well, I live in the Welsh valleys and it getting really cold now. It’s having a huge impact!
Wasn't that to be expected though? It's been asked about here before, with people advising to expect around 30% drop in winter depending on temps and driving style. The figures on the EV Database seem pretty close to that, although I prefer knowledge shared from real world experience/range tests.

Or are you getting even more of a drop than 30% ??

Are you running the battery heater before you do your journey, when I am going any distance I pre-heat the battery whilst connected to the charger, and I am seeing a significant improvement in range.
I don’t, 90% of the journeys are about 10minutes back and forth work. I am starting to research how to optimise the heating and battery heating set up.

How do you set up the battery heater to use the mains? Also does the cabin heating use battery or mains if plugged in?

I don’t, 90% of the journeys are about 10minutes back and forth work. I am starting to research how to optimise the heating and battery heating set up.

How do you set up the battery heater to use the mains? Also does the cabin heating use battery or mains if plugged in?
I say 90 but probably more like 60/70 as we use this car for everything

My understanding is, based on how it seems to work with my charger, is if I draw power from the battery by running the battery heater and/or cabin heating when the battery is at full charge it will quickly trigger the charging again, thus it is effectively using the mains to heat. If you do scheduled charging that would only work that way if it was within the schedule times.
If anyone has an expert view and I have this wrong, I am happy to be corrected :)

Sadly, we have decided to sell our ZS Trophy Long Range that we bought new in June this year. Mostly happy with the car itself, but the issue for us has proved to be charging away from home. Most of the time we have been charging at home without any problem and if we were able to do that all the time there wouldn't be any issue. In recent weeks however we've had a number of occasions away from home where we have needed to charge at public charging points. One issue has been lack of availability - in some of the areas we've been there just have not been very many. Another issue has been that quite a high proportion of those we have tried have been out of action.
We live in a semi rural area in Scotland and bad weather in recent weeks has caused diversions due to roads and bridges being closed, meaning longer journeys and unexpected need for charging away from home. Other times we have been out for the day and have unexpectedly had to drive somewhere else, making for a longer journey. Another issue in the past couple of weeks has been the drop in battery efficiency due to the cold. When we bought the car in the summer a 100% charge gave about 270 miles range. One cold day last week when the temperature was just below 0 Celsius (and we would expect colder temperatures over the winter) I charged to 100% and had a stated range of less than 180 miles. I knew from simple physics that battery efficiency drops in colder temperatures but that's a significant loss.
I'm disappointed to be selling as I was very keen to make the switch to electric but in many ways it hasn't worked for us. If we lived in a city and used the car mainly for short journeys it would be different, but we have needed on occasion recently to use our other car, a diesel, and it seems an extravagance to keep an electric car if it can't be used almost all the time.
I have no doubt that we will be back to an electric car in the future, by which time our personal circumstances will probably mean less long journeys. Hopefully also, public charging infrastructure will be both more plentiful and more reliable. If not, the 2030 target seems even less likely!

P.S. On the plus side, we have agreed a deal for another car (sorry, another diesel!) and are losing very little on what we paid for the car new. Very different from "normal" times, where if you sold a new car after less than 6 months you would have lost a lot more.
Yup!

Wasn't that to be expected though? It's been asked about here before, with people advising to expect around 30% drop in winter depending on temps and driving style. The figures on the EV Database seem pretty close to that, although I prefer knowledge shared from real world experience/range tests.

Or are you getting even more of a drop than 30% ??
My range is now under 200 miles. It quite poor really, but in the summer I was getting 300!

Obviously gone from Eco and no heating to Normal Mode with heating being blasted on each short trip to heat the car and clear the windscreen.

I’d like to be able to plug the car in and just set it to run the heater and battery heating and not charge or only charge at a certain time, but I do worry about either charging to 80% every night just so the car is plugged in as it would be giving the battery a little too up every night, like plugging your iPhone in for 1hour everyday and not a full charge

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. As I said, the problem has not been charging at home, although it seems it would not be wise to charge to 100% on a regular basis. The problem for us has been the unexpected - out for the day and unexpectedly called to go somewhere else, or forced to make a detour because a road has been closed, and finding it difficult to get a top-up charge. The drop in battery performance due to the cold, while not unexpected, has exacerbated the issue. At the moment, for us, the electric car does not appear to be the answer.

I would understand it if you had a string of horror stories of being left stranded etc. But some inconveniences with public rapid charging…hmmm.

What worries me about posts like this is that people are not prepared to accept even the mildest of changes to norms in order to have an environmental impact.

We are in trouble.

Electric cars don’t fit with everyone’s lifestyle, it doesn’t mean we are all doomed!

My range has dropped below 200 miles in the cold now, from 280. So if you had a short range electric car it could make life difficult if your ranged dropped from 200 to say 130.

We have the SR and went from Swansea to London on Sunday and back on Monday. Due to the temps and a full car, I decided we would stop twice on the way up and same back. The charges were 30 minutes each - the time we would have spent at the services anyway for coffee/loo. No problems. I usually use ABRP connected to the car via dongle (so it reads the cars SOC) and I've never had an issue.

No range anxiety (I keep an eye on the SOC rather than the GOM). This is all with a SR so with a LR I could/should have only needed one stop each way but I don't have a LR (which I originally ordered), but it really wasn't an issue as we all wanted to stretch our legs every 2 hours anyway. Even the wife was happy which was a bonus!

Had the car now for 6 months and done 10,000 miles and it is still a delight to drive. I wouldn't even consider going back to an ICE but of course, each to his/her own.

p.s. - took the sons Corsa over to the garage this morning and took me 10 minutes to de-ice and de-fog. Wow, we are really looked after in our MGs. Set the heater to warm her up before I got up via the app.:):coffee:

Electric cars don’t fit with everyone’s lifestyle, it doesn’t mean we are all doomed!

My range has dropped below 200 miles in the cold now, from 280. So if you had a short range electric car it could make life difficult if your ranged dropped from 200 to say 130.
Maybe, but it's just a small illustration of what we would be prepared to do to make a difference that stretches well beyond EVs (which are a very small part of the carbon reduction model).

EVs are relatively easy switch, compared to what is actually needed ...

Sadly, we have decided to sell our ZS Trophy Long Range that we bought new in June this year.

I understand your frustrations here, EV's don't suit everyone I know.

If the range etc stresses;s you out, then life is too short. Get rid.

But. of course, you are back to polluting roads, and expensive fuel etc. Are you sure you can't make it work?

EV journeys need planning. But I am fortunate in that as a retiree, my journeys are mostly local. But I have done 200 miles forays, and with planning, they have worked just fine..

The other option, of course, is to have an ICE car as a back-up. Until recently I did have an ICE, not really a back up, but just a nice to have...an RX8😊😊😊

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom