Service costs 2nd year

I've just booked mine in for its second service and was amazed at the high price. At Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford - they said it would be £427. I said that seems high, and they said they could reduce it to £347 without aircon re-gas. They know its a low mileage service, and I think that's still very high. I had my first service there last year for £145.

I need to get it done quick though, as its getting close to the annual deadline. They didn't send me a reminder, which I was surprised about.
I’d go to another dealer. The low mileage 2nd year service should be under £100. See my thread below on service plans (which includes details of individual service prices).

Low mileage service plan observations

I've just booked mine in for its second service and was amazed at the high price. At Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford - they said it would be £427. I said that seems high, and they said they could reduce it to £347 without aircon re-gas. They know its a low mileage service, and I think that's still very high. I had my first service there last year for £145.

I need to get it done quick though, as its getting close to the annual deadline. They didn't send me a reminder, which I was surprised about.

Well I took my car in this morning to Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford for its second service. I had queried the £347 high price a couple of times by e-mail to them, but didn't get a response. So when I took it in I queried the price again. I asked them to check that it was down for a low mileage service, to be met with the response "low mileage services aren't available until you are past the 7 year warranty. During this period you need the full service, in order to satisfy the warranty". How long has this been a thing?! Or is it the dealer trying it on?

The lady on the desk then checked this with the person next to her, who said it was correct. This person though said that I could reduce the cost by £70, if they took out the full brake service, which she said might not be necessary as early as the second year. Are they making this up as they go along!

I'll have to make time to do a bit more research before next year's service. This year I was in a rush to get it done, and this garage is my only convenient MG dealer, in terms of being able to drop off and get to work.

This sounds wrong and expensive did you not call another dealer for a quote?
I take it they gave you the aa cover?
And the bear?

This sounds wrong and expensive did you not call another dealer for a quote?
I take it they gave you the aa cover?
And the bear?

I've requested a bear, and they noted this down on my paperwork! The AA cover should be automatic, but I'll check when I pick the car up.

There isn't really another convenient dealer for me, so I didn't get another quote.

I've requested a bear, and they noted this down on my paperwork! The AA cover should be automatic, but I'll check when I pick the car up.

There isn't really another convenient dealer for me, so I didn't get another quote.

I know there is not a dealer near you but a call for a quote would let you know how much more or less the bill would be and for peace of mind

Well I took my car in this morning to Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford for its second service. I had queried the £347 high price a couple of times by e-mail to them, but didn't get a response. So when I took it in I queried the price again. I asked them to check that it was down for a low mileage service, to be met with the response "low mileage services aren't available until you are past the 7 year warranty. During this period you need the full service, in order to satisfy the warranty". How long has this been a thing?! Or is it the dealer trying it on?

The lady on the desk then checked this with the person next to her, who said it was correct. This person though said that I could reduce the cost by £70, if they took out the full brake service, which she said might not be necessary as early as the second year. Are they making this up as they go along!

I'll have to make time to do a bit more research before next year's service. This year I was in a rush to get it done, and this garage is my only convenient MG dealer, in terms of being able to drop off and get to work.
Any garage which is MG approved can do the service and still maintain the warranty. Not sure if you still get the AA cover and bear though.

I'd write an email to the head of service and the branch manger (make sure you use the @MG.CO.UK email address as this is also monitored by MG head office) expressing your concerns. There is a low mileage service for vehicles registered from late 2020 and it's is even supported my an MG document which details the differences between low & standard mileage services.

Request a service sheet schedule from the dealer, that they use for carrying out the work on the car.
It will be a “Tick Box” sheet detailing the items that require checking by the “Tech”.
I paid £277 for my second service on our ZS EV at a local MG dealership.
This included a “Morris the Bear” and an extension to our AA breakdown cover.
The car did not receive the brake service ( which I assume is brake fluid replacement ) and there is no mention of this on the “Check Sheet” that they provided with the car.
Brake fluid level was checked, but not replaced as far as I can tell.
They may have done a hygroscopic check on the fluid, looking for a high moisture content.
But I don’t honestly think the fluid has been replaced.
The car had covered around 16,000 miles when the service had taken place.

Request a service sheet schedule from the dealer, that they use for carrying out the work on the car.
It will be a “Tick Box” sheet detailing the items that require checking by the “Tech”.
I paid £277 for my second service on our ZS EV at a local MG dealership.
This included a “Morris the Bear” and an extension to our AA breakdown cover.
The car did not receive the brake service ( which I assume is brake fluid replacement ) and there is no mention of this on the “Check Sheet” that they provided with the car.
Brake fluid level was checked, but not replaced as far as I can tell.
They may have done a hygroscopic check on the fluid, looking for a high moisture content.
But I don’t honestly think the fluid has been replaced.
The car had covered around 16,000 miles when the service had taken place.
So your second service cost the same as mine did. Mine included the AA extension too and a bear (Mya the bear this time, as it was my daughter's turn to have it!).

There was no mention of any software updates having been done, perhaps there weren't any needed as mine were all updated last year.

So your second service cost the same as mine did. Mine included the AA extension too and a bear (Mya the bear this time, as it was my daughter's turn to have it!).

There was no mention of any software updates having been done, perhaps there weren't any needed as mine were all updated last year.
Same here !.

I’d go to another dealer. The low mileage 2nd year service should be under £100. See my thread below on service plans (which includes details of individual service prices).

Low mileage service plan observations
I would always steer clear of Glyn Hopkins. But after reading this thread I did some checking. I'm in Chingford London and I have two dealerships within 5 miles.
I have just booked my first service for my MGZSEV 2021 Reg.
Glyn Hopkins quoted £228 + VAT
Bristol Street Motors quoted £248 + VAT
My Local Halfords quoted £92.00 incluing VAT but I don't think I'd get the AA Cover or the bear. Possibly no software updates either.

The dealer where I bought the car is Toomeys Basildon is 20 miles away which in cash terms costs about £2.50 in leccy for the return trip.
They are charging me £120.00 including VAT which includes all software updates and the AA cover so a no brainer for me.

Glyn Hopkins and Bristol Street Motors are scheisters as far as I'm concerned. They behave like the Arthur Daley school of second hand car dealers with morals and customer service to boot.

Shop around and remember you don't have to get the servicing done by MG to keep the warranty.

Shop around and remember you don't have to get the servicing done by MG to keep the warranty.
Agreed, but the service costs would have to be at least £139 cheaper, as that's the cost of the AA membership you get as part of the deal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom