Service Unloop

Anf800

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So we’ve had our facelift SR for a month now and have been using the granny charger. I ordered a 7kw charger aged ago and have been waiting for the green light from the electricity board (in old money).

I received an email today saying they cannot give the go ahead as we need a service unloop. So far I’ve not heard back from the installer but it seems I need to wait for about three months for this to happen.

Has anyone been through this? Is it likely to cost me?

Thanks

Lee

Check out this thread.

So we’ve had our facelift SR for a month now and have been using the granny charger. I ordered a 7kw charger aged ago and have been waiting for the green light from the electricity board (in old money).

I received an email today saying they cannot give the go ahead as we need a service unloop. So far I’ve not heard back from the installer but it seems I need to wait for about three months for this to happen.

Thanks

Lee
There is a few posts on this but you need to contact your DNO mine was ukpower networks it was free you will also need to ask for a 100amp fuse
Screenshot_20230307-181148.png

It can get a bit messy
Screenshot_20230307-181107.png
Screenshot_20230307-181002.png

Last edited:
What EVSE are you getting as some have load monitoring so if set correctly can still be used on a 60A fuse.

I am also on a looped supply. Western Power came out to survey, and confirmed that my neighbour’s supply was looped from my property. I was surprised, as the properties are all detached, and not adjacent to each other.

My neighbour was notified of the situation, as their driveway would need to have a channel excavated for a new supply to be laid. Ultimately, they refused (and I don’t blame them really), as although there would be no charge to either of us, the disruption would be theirs, for no immediate benefit.

I was assured by WP that I could safely use my EVSE, but that if my neighbour ever wanted to charge an EV, or have a heat pump boiler for CH installed, then they would have to be unlooped first.

Thanks for all the help.

I suspect we are looped with one of our neighbours who don’t actually live here anymore, their house is empty. I might struggle to speak to them if it’s their drive / garden that needs digging up due to health issues.

We asked for an Easee 7kw but I think we could consider a different type of it would help.

My DNO said they could dig mine or my neighbours it don't matter who gets the new supply I have a driveway and decided nextdoor can have the new supply DNO agreed as it was a lawn so easy to put back my neighbour said no way so I offered my drive way but DNO said it don't matter what your neighbour says there is law you can't deny DNO work or something like that about a month later they dug up my neighbours lawn the rest is history
Edit they done all work out side so I didn't need to go in next door's house it was just my house to upgrade fuse holder

Thanks for all the help.

I suspect we are looped with one of our neighbours who don’t actually live here anymore, their house is empty. I might struggle to speak to them if it’s their drive / garden that needs digging up due to health issues.

We asked for an Easee 7kw but I think we could consider a different type of it would help.
We found out as we had 2 cables going into the fuse as you can see from the pictures above

Last edited:
@N2STY
WP also told me that they have authority to insist on installing a new supply, if necessary, irrespective of neighbour’s objections.

We both have block paved driveways, but I was told that it needed to be the neighbours supply that had to be re-done. I wonder whether it’s due to the orientation of the properties, and as my supply is in my (attached) garage, the cables may well go underneath it as it’s sideways onto the road. That might be more problematic for installation.

Fortunately for neighbourly relations it hasn’t been essential. Yet.

Last edited:
@N2STY
WP also told me that they have authority to insist on installing a new supply, if necessary, irrespective of neighbour’s objections.

We both have block paved driveways, but I was told that it needed to be the neighbours supply that had to be re-done.

Fortunately for neighbourly relations it hasn’t been essential. Yet.
I understand that the thing is it's not going to be free forever probably would have cost £6k+
And now my neighbour is getting a heat pump and and there all ready for it

The joys of a looped supply, I went through this as our block of three houses shared a loop & it took around 5 months, It didn't cost me anything except a messed up garden.
Home Charger

My brother has to be unlooped. Western Power had to dig up the road to do it and they put conduit big enough to fit 3 phase should it ever be needed in the future so that they didn't have to dig again - so worth asking to avoid future disruption.

My brother has to be unlooped. Western Power had to dig up the road to do it and they put conduit big enough to fit 3 phase should it ever be needed in the future so that they didn't have to dig again - so worth asking to avoid future disruption.
Was there any cost to your brother? It seems mostly this is free but there are stories of horrendous bills.

Thanks

Lee
Hi Had my charger fitted 12 months ago. the electricity company are trying to unloop us but one of the neighbours is not playing ball . they have said they can fit a feeder supply . Said i will have to pay for the new consumer unit and the ev charger to be rewired . My reply was you better sort it with the neighbour . The cost for the unlooping is free of charge .

Hi Had my charger fitted 12 months ago. the electricity company are trying to unloop us but one of the neighbours is not playing ball . they have said they can fit a feeder supply . Said i will have to pay for the new consumer unit and the ev charger to be rewired . My reply was you better sort it with the neighbour . The cost for the unlooping is free of charge .
How many houses are loopped together?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom