Services & Service Plans

AnonymouseDriva

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all.
Following on from a thread I've seen over on the MGEV Owners Club facebook page and a few discussions I've seen on here, I thought it might be worth pulling together people's experiences with MG5 services and service plans.

One of the many savings quoted on EVs is that there are less 'moving parts' and therefore services are much cheaper, but I'm seeing prices banded around for first services and service plans that are more than I currently pay for my 8 year old ICE car.

I'm struggling to find any real information online of what is actually involved here for MG5 services. Even the MG website shows a 1 year service, but with none of the listed items actually ticked- so what are they actually doing for their reported £45 - £150?

So, I would appreciate it if you could share your experience of services (is anyone past their second yet?) - specifically:

-Plan or one-off
-Type (normal or low mileage, first or second etc.)
-Did it retain / extend your AA cover?
-Did it cover everything needed to retain the warranty (corrosion checks etc.) or were you 'upsold' these as extras
-if 'low mileage' - was the 'recommended' brake fluid change included or upsold as an extra?
-were you upsold (or did they attempt to upsell) any other options
-Did your plan come with any other 'benefits'? (MOT included or discounted, incentive scheme etc?)
-If you're comfortable naming (to either promote good service or shame bad!), who / where was the dealer?

Thanks all. There seems to be a lack of good information out there, and a wealth of misunderstanding or misinformation so it would be great to tap into the pool of experience here to try and find some balance. and bears.

The driver's handbook refers to the need to check transmission coolant, battery coolant, washer fluid and brake fluid - but these are weekly checks which the owner is supposed to perform. It also says that brake fluid replacement and coolant replacement will be at extra cost.

I wonder how many hours are allocated - no more than 1 hour for £100 I suspect. It's a lot of money to cover the cost of a coffee while you wait.

Oh and they should call the bear Cecil if they want to refer back to MG heritage.

It also says that brake fluid replacement
The VAG group calls for brake fluid replacement after 3 years ( regardless ) then every 2 years after that also.
It is also NOT covered by any type of service plan and is a chargeable cost to the customer.
About £65 comes quickly to mind.
To be honest, a better way is to take a sample of the brake fluid first and check for a moisture content ( water ) and then go from there.
In most cases the fluid gets replaced prematurely.

I bought a 4 service plan paid up front for my MG5. This was the less than 10,000 a year plan, and cost £357 in total for the 4 services. Importantly if serviced at an MG garage you get another 12 months AA assistance thrown in (oh and an MG Morris Teddy Bear). All the info is here Service Plans

The online quote on the MG website is handy, but gives no information of what each service entails. For 3 years it is quoting £188 for the services (£27, £98 and £63) comes to £220 with charges etc giving payments of around £8 a month. Would be nice to know exactly what it includes though.

The online quote on the MG website is handy, but gives no information of what each service entails. For 3 years it is quoting £188 for the services (£27, £98 and £63) comes to £220 with charges etc giving payments of around £8 a month. Would be nice to know exactly what it includes though.
1629571743668.png

Thank you for this, I can't get a quote as haven't brought the car yet (so no registration) but visited my numpty local dealer and he was just plucking number out of the air - £200'ish for first service!

Or £12-£15 per month for service contract!
:-(

Andy

There’s quite a bit on here on servicing. Essentially EV’s need little to no servicing. For example; My Tesla 28000 miles never been touched - no mandatory servicing needed ever - lifetime coolant - no impact on warranty. The MG annual service interval is just a way of trying to get some service income in my opinion and unnecessary. For example; If you‘re on low mileage servicing and take your car in after 12 months and 6k miles - there’s nothing to do! Other manufacturers are at least every 2 Years or no servicing required other than recommended fluid changes. People - myself included - will of course take their cars in to keep the warranty going.

There’s quite a bit on here on servicing. Essentially EV’s need little to no servicing. For example; My Tesla 28000 miles never been touched - no mandatory servicing needed ever - lifetime coolant - no impact on warranty. The MG annual service interval is just a way of trying to get some service income in my opinion and unnecessary. For example; If you‘re on low mileage servicing and take your car in after 12 months and 6k miles - there’s nothing to do! Other manufacturers are at least every 2 Years or no servicing required other than recommended fluid changes. People - myself included - will of course take their cars in to keep the warranty going.
What's the AA cover worth? Perhaps this accounts for a fair chunk of the cost?

Absolutely bang on, 100% correct !.

What's the AA cover worth? Perhaps this accounts for a fair chunk of the cost?
Yes perhaps it is, but most new cars come with 3 Years roadside assistance anyway as part of the warranty and the MG should be the same in my opinion - not tied to a service and charged as it is now.

Yes perhaps it is, but most new cars come with 3 Years roadside assistance anyway as part of the warranty and the MG should be the same in my opinion - not tied to a service and charged as it is now.
I believe the A.A. cover includes “Relay / Recovery” so better than basic Roadside Assistance.
Obviously 🙄 MG have done a deal with the A.A. to provide this service.
It’s just a P.I.T.A. having to take the car into the dealership for a complete day, for what is a 15 minute so called “Health Check”.

I took out a 5 year plan with 3 MOT's for year 3/4/5. Cost is 58 months of £13 and a few pennies. Quoted for my 7,000 mileage but been assured quote is same up to 10,000 miles per annum. Of course as already mentioned you are also getting your breakdown costs covered too.
Screenshot_20210822-123100_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210822-123037_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-123037_Drive.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 181
I took out a 5 year plan with 3 MOT's for year 3/4/5. Cost is 58 months of £13 and a few pennies. Quoted for my 7,000 mileage but been assured quote is same up to 10,000 miles per annum. Of course as already mentioned you are also getting your breakdown costs covered too.View attachment 4546
4th year service is just over £400 on a 10,000 mile per annum service, they change the coolants at 40,000 miles.

4th year service is just over £400 on a 10,000 mile per annum service, they change the coolants at 40,000 miles.
Well that's good to know and should encourage me to keep the mileage lower if I can. I'm fairly certain that I'll make that 7-8K target as looking back historically on old MOT records I seem to be around 7K.

I believe the A.A. cover includes “Relay / Recovery” so better than basic Roadside Assistance.
Obviously 🙄 MG have done a deal with the A.A. to provide this service.
It’s just a P.I.T.A. having to take the car into the dealership for a complete day, for what is a 15 minute so called “Health Check”.
It is, and it isn’t. I have no objection to a scheduled check (and maybe software update). Just would like a little more transparency on what it is.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom