Servicing intervals etc

Gandalfharrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have just bought a 2022 ZS EV, was offered a monthly service plan. Having no idea as to service intervals or costs of servicing I said I would think about it.Can anyone give me any information to aid my decision.

What does an EV service actually entail. As far as I can see there is no service book of any form, is it all on line?

I got a service plan for £13 for my MG5 but that was for 15k annual mileage if you do under 10K it will be cheaper

I have just bought a 2022 ZS EV, was offered a monthly service plan. Having no idea as to service intervals or costs of servicing I said I would think about it.Can anyone give me any information to aid my decision.

What does an EV service actually entail. As far as I can see there is no service book of any form, is it all on line?
The first 2 years it seems to be

1. Check that nothing has come lose.
2. Check that the brakedisc or pads are not worn down.
3. Check that tyres are not worn down.
4. Refill washer fluid

Year 3, is a bit more involving, as they flush the battery coolant system, and fill it with new fluid.

There will be no "Check sparkplugs, check timing belt, change oil etc." like on the old petrol or diesel :)

The first 2 years it seems to be

1. Check that nothing has come lose.
2. Check that the brakedisc or pads are not worn down.
3. Check that tyres are not worn down.
4. Refill washer fluid

Year 3, is a bit more involving, as they flush the battery coolant system, and fill it with new fluid.

There will be no "Check sparkplugs, check timing belt, change oil etc." like on the old petrol or diesel :)
Coolant change is at year 4 on the Gen 1 IIRC, cost about £400 (or more) for that service.

I
Coolant change is at year 4 on the Gen 1 IIRC, cost about £400 (or more) for that service.
Is the high cost of the coolant change due to expensive fluid or labour?
I worked out that over the first five years of ownership, MG EV servicing is more expensive than ICE equivalent mainly due to this rather expensive aspect, which is a bit of a shame. But perhaps - I guess we shall see over time - there are less components to fail overall. Of course there are other savings to be made as we know, but sometimes I feel the EV advertising is a little misleading in this respect.

Last edited:
I can't see how they justify £400 for a coolant change, it doesn't seem to be a special coolant, quoted as Glycol (OAT) in the manual, unless it's a long drawn out process that involves a lot of labour.
Glycol (OAT) coolants normally last 10 years, cost about £30-£40 for 10 litres and unless it's getting contaminated in use, I can't see why they have to change it so soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom